System upgrade - wonder if current PSU will work

Onibus

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
125
Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some perspective on my power needs for a new system I'm going to build at the end of April. I've asked many people on IRC regarding the following situation:
I currently have a Cooler Master 400w. The following link is to the 500w (as newegg stopped carrying the 400w), but the specs are the same.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018

My sig shows my set up.

What I want to know is if a 400w will power the following:
C2D e6300
2x512 Corsair DDR800 XMS
8600 Ultra (ballpark guess on consumption)
3x Western Digital HDD
DVD Burner
PCI Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
USB: Keyboard, Mouse, controller

I do plan on overclocking the e6300 (given the great results I've seen on the forum).

I would like a new case, but given my budget, I would like to see where I can save some money for now, then upgrade the psu down the road (hence my dilemma).

And to answer some questions, I might consider upgrading to the quadcore in q3, but by then, I'd definitely have a new psu. I won't be doing SLI. I don't need any suggestions for PSU just yet, as I've already looked at a wide range (ocz powerstream is one).

Please let me know if a 400w will satisfy my power needs.

And one last question: if I do require a new PSU, would a 500w that isn't 80+ efficiency suffice? (500w+ and 80%+ efficiency = pricey).
 
Back
Top