[System Upgrade] Component Review/Advice Requested

Xaxius

n00b
Joined
Mar 11, 2007
Messages
26
My 8800 GTX died this past weekend and I began looking at doing a wholesale upgrade on my existing C2D system components to support a new graphics card. My plan is to take the existing system and upgrade my daughters computer while providing myself a new and improved system. Below are the components that my system will need replacing...

CPU: Core 2 Duo e6600 @ 3.150 Ghz
COOLER: Scythe Infinity (Push/Pull w/ 2x Silver Stone FM121 at 1600RPMs)
MEMORY: 4GB G.Skill PC2-6400 (F2-6400CL4-1GBPK) 5-5-5-15
MOTHERBOARD: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
VIDEO CARD: Geforce 8800 GTX

After doing some research against a budget of $1k, I put together the following for about $962.00 through Newegg.com....

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 194.99
COOLER: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 79.99
MOTHERBOARD: MSI P55-GD65 149.99
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 109.99
VIDEOCARD: XFX HD-587A-ZND9 Radeon HD 5870 429.99

I'm really looking for guidance on the components... Are they the best options available for the price? Are there better options (MB, Mem or Cooler wise) for OCing for the money? Are there any other recommendations regarding the manufacturer of the Radeon 5870 card? Is the upgrade path I'm choosing a sound one? I'd appreciate any help or recommendations. Thanks!


1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primary: Gaming and Web Browsing; Secondary: Photoshop, Web Design, Movies
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Est $1000 w/ shipping/tax included
3) Where do you live?
USA, Texas
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
CPU, HS/Fan, Motherboard, Videocard, Memory
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Case: Gigabyte Aurora; PS: Cooler master Real Power Pro 1000W; HD: 2x Seagate Barracuda; 2x OCZ Core Series 64GB SSD
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
37" Westinghouse
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Onboard Audio
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes; Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
Last edited:
Hmm, here's an AMD setup:
$290 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU + GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 Motherboard

Highly doubt the Core i5 750 is worth the extra $55.
 
Hmm, here's an AMD setup:
$290 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU + GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 Motherboard

Highly doubt the Core i5 750 is worth the extra $55.

+1, was going to suggest a 1055T setup, it will beat an i5 750, and save you that extra money :) plus who doesnt want in on the 6 core fun ?

as for GFX manufacturer, any of the big ones: XFX, Asus, Gigabyte should be good(correct me if i'm wrong)
 
XFX is good - they have double lifetime warranties.

if you're going to be oc'ing you might do better than that msi board on the intel build - another reason to go w/ danny's build. I haven't read much on aftermarket coolers for the 6 core, but i'm sure any of the better air coolers will be fine - look here.
 
Thanks for the suggestions.

From what I've read, the Phenom II X6 doesn't seem to perform to the same level as the Core i5 from a gaming perspective. I understand the 6-cores and I'm not against using AMD procs, but I fear the applications (games) I'd be using with it will not take advantage of it. If I was looking at an AMD proc, would it make more sense to go the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE? While it has 2 less cores, wouldn't the high clock benefit me more in a gaming enviroment. Not to mention, it also costs less and comes unlocked.

Newegg.com also has a nice little combo with the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE and the MSI R5870 Lightning Radeon HD 5870 for 609.98. Proc and card with the Intel config above was 623.99 and it looks like the Lightning is a better card. :)
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

From what I've read, the Phenom II X6 doesn't seem to perform to the same level as the Core i5 from a gaming perspective. I understand the 6-cores and I'm not against using AMD procs, but I fear the applications (games) I'd be using with it will not take advantage of it. If I was looking at an AMD proc, would it make more sense to go the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE? While it has 2 less cores, wouldn't the high clock benefit me more in a gaming enviroment. Not to mention, it also costs less and comes unlocked.

Newegg.com also has a nice little combo with the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE and the MSI R5870 Lightning Radeon HD 5870 for 609.98. Proc and card with the Intel config above was 623.99 and it looks like the Lightning is a better card. :)

Well from a price to performance perspective, the 965BE isn't that good of a choice for the money when the 955 BE, clocked only 200Mhz slower, is $20 cheaper. no way is that extra 200Mhz worth the $20.

As for the Core i5 750 being better in games, it is but like I said earlier: I don't think the difference between the Core i5 750 and the Phenom X6 1055T or even the 955 BE is worth the extra $50. With that said, it's only $50, so up to you.
 
Back
Top