system takes like 2 minutes to shut down!!

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I just built a system I think like 4 days ago, and all of the sudden It just started doing this. There is like a 2 minute delay between when I hit shutdown or restart and when it actually shust down. As far as I can tell there are no program hangs or any network connections that are stuck open. So I'm at a loss, got any suggestions?

Well, I really don't even know where that setting is. Could you tell me where is it and wheather it should be enabled or disabled?

Either way I have my page file set to 5 MB... I don't think that would do it.

You'll find that option under

Control Panel=>Administrative Tools=>Local Security Policy=>Security Settings=>Local Policies=>Security Options=>Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile

Its disabled by default.

Chance's are that if don't know where it at then you didn't turn it on.... Sounds like a driver or program shutting off issue.

Originally posted by pbXassassinX1524
Well, I really don't even know where that setting is. Could you tell me where is it and wheather it should be enabled or disabled?

Either way I have my page file set to 5 MB... I don't think that would do it.

Why would you have your pagefile set at 5MB?

I found out what it was!! I have a logitech elite keyboard and there is a program called itouch that you configure all the extra wierd buttons on it with. I went into the task manager and tried to end task on it; so when it didnt work I knew that it was the one. So I went into msconfig and disable it from starting on boot and viola! It works.

thanks for your help anyway.

I had that exact same problem. I love Logitech's hardware, but their software and support really sucks. Especially their drivers and control-panel stuff.

Originally posted by ikari303
I had that exact same problem. I love Logitech's hardware, but their software and support really sucks. Especially their drivers and control-panel stuff.

I can't stand the F-key if I forget to press when I turn my computer. And I need to use it, next thing you know I have mp3 playing email's opening, They should have it on by default.

Originally posted by The Other
I can't stand the F-key if I forget to press when I turn my computer. And I need to use it, next thing you know I have mp3 playing email's opening, They should have it on by default.

if you use the keyboard through the USB port it should stay on all the time cause of constant power from the PSU. If you have it through the PS2 then you have to enable it everytime. And I had the same software hang problem......

Originally posted by Stu Pidasso
Chance's are that if don't know where it at then you didn't turn it on.... Sounds like a driver or program shutting off issue.
That appears to be my issue, but in all fairness, I am coming from Win98 PCs which would shutdown almost instantly.

My new PCs, with WinXP Pro, had a shutdown time of only a couple of seconds after I installed WinXP, updates, drivers and basic software. Then I installed McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.0, and the shutdown time increased to 20 seconds. I guess 20 seconds is normal, and if it isn't, I would sure like to know why.

if you go into the bios you can keep the keyboard on if you tell it to start up through a key

Back