System suddenly won't boot w/ 2 sticks RAM

drbenjamin

n00b
Hey All

After 2+ years of trouble free running, my wife's machine wouldn't even POST this AM. I built it for her, it's a low end ECS motherboard (gf7050) w/ an E7300 and 2 1GB sticks of OCZ PC2 6400. It has a Corsair CX430 PSU and uses the onboard video.
I opened it up and started disconnecting things, when I pulled both sticks of RAM I got a long beep. Putting either stick in the rightmost slot let the machine boot fine. Putting both sticks in led to the hang, when I press the power button there is an immediate brief flash of the keyboard lights then absolutely nothing - no beep, no monitor output, no keyboard lights.
Anything I can do other than replace the mobo?

TIA

Last edited:
Hey All

After 2+ years of trouble free running, my wife's machine wouldn't even POST this AM. I built it for her, it's a low end ECS motherboard (gf7050) w/ an E7300 and 2 1GB sticks of OCZ PC2 6400. It has a Corsair CX430 PSU and uses the onboard video.
I opened it up and started disconnecting things, when I pulled both sticks of RAM I got a long beep. Putting either stick in the rightmost slot let the machine boot fine. Putting both sticks in led to the hang, when I press the power button there is an immediate brief flash of the keyboard lights then absolutely nothing - no beep, no monitor output, no keyboard lights.
Anything I can do other than replace the mobo?

TIA

Did you try another kit of RAM other than the original kit your having trouble with?

Did you try another kit of RAM other than the original kit your having trouble with?

Nevermind what I just said in my previous reply. If you not having trouble with just one of either stick in the right most slot, but if you put both stick in and the system hangs then maybe your not putting the sticks in the right slots or the slot is damaged. I would say the slot is damage though because the system should just run in single channel if placed in the incorrect slot.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - I figure I am probably SOL given that the configuration was stable for 2 yrs then all of a sudden stopped working. Just thought I'd see if anyone had seen a similar issue.

Back