• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

System shuts off during Vista install....

Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
626
My apologies, but I need some help please. I've just put together a new rig and the system crashes/shuts off at the same point everytime during a Vista install. The crash happens just after the "Windows is loading files" screen. As soo as the green activity bar shows up and goes across the screen a few time the system either shuts right off or goes to a BSOD witha Fatal Error. Something about the Initial session process..

System:
Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD
G-Skill Ram 2 x 1 gig DD2 6400 (4-4-4-12)
2 x Western Digital Hard Drives Cavier SE16 250gigs
Corsair HX620w PSU
EVGA 800 GTS KO

I've tried each stick of ram in each DIMM and each Hard Drive to no avail. I've changed the Memory settings to be correct under thie bios, to no avail.

I really have no idea what else to do.

Please help ;)
 
Run memtest. When I had that problem, it turned out to be bad ram.
 
Are you using a fanless heatsink? If so you have to turn a safety feature off...

The following post is of a person that was using a NT06 LITE and ran into install trouble...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1172601

If this isn't your problem you can turn down settings in the bios (failsafe preset), I have also read of people have trouble installing windows on this motherboard with HT enabled...

This is assuming you have checked RAM, PSU and video...
 
Ok thanks for the replies!! I solved the shut downs during install, but now have a new problem lol.

When it comes time to install Vista on a Drive...none of my HDs show. Vista says it cannot locate any. Do I need a RAID driver or something??

Just some info:
I have RAID enabled in the BIOS
I Have set up a RAID 0 assisgnment for the 2 Western Digital drives under the FastBuild Utility under the Define section. I hope I did this correctly. Can anyone walk me through the a RAID0 setup using this board and teh FastBuild Utility is uses?

Thanks again!!!

:D

Update:

The Hard Drives are now showing up after I disabled the RAID controller and deleted the assignments from the FastBuild Utility...But I want RAID...any thoughts guy/gals?

Just curious, but shoudl I install it on one Drive then try RAID? Sorry new to RAID configs.
 
Note to self....read up on How to install RAID before attempting. I think I'm ok now. I put the ABIT boot CD in so I could load the RAID driver for Windows and the RAID 0 showed up afetr the driver was installed!! WIndows Vista is being installed right now - fingers crossed!

;) :p ;)
 
RAID 0 can help with older game load times... Also certain games use constant high quality bitmaps benefit as well..

Though to tell you the truth most actual tests that I have seen the performance in game load times with RAID 0 was pretty small, we are talking about 1-5 seconds faster depending on the game.

I have NOT run a OS on a RAID 0 setup myself to give you a first hand opinion though.

Here is one set of graphs

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=1963563&postcount=26

At the same time many swear a RAID 0 setup is the way to go...

I personally stick to 1 drive, the maximum %10 increase in certain games and certain functions do not out weight (IMHO) the hassle as you have gone through getting it setup and running properly. Not to mention double the risk of loosing a drive and your data (which should be backed up anyways though).
 
Thanks for the replies!

I'm actually going to stick with the single drives for now. I thought I'd be more concerned about load times, but I very happy with the current setup. The Western Digital Cavier SE16s are a little faster than I had expected. I bit louder too, but working! I was able to install Vista with no problems on a single drive. SO far the F-I90HD is working well...I'll keep my fingers crossed.
 
Back
Top