System Shock Remastered Demo Available June 28th

i adore this remake. i can only hope they give a similar treatment to SS2, even if it takes another 7 years. there are a lot of hints that this may be in their plans (the wrench from SS2 can be found, the chemical containers for research in SS2 can be found, etc etc). who knows though, i'm sure it all depends on how well this sells.
Tough window right now to release. SW game, Zelda, Diablo, etc.

Just got done with the Demo,

Wow! They some how managed to transport me back 30 years! Also, the game is creepy as fuck, still! The music, atmosphere and one of the zombies actively followed my movements.

This is how you remaster a game!

Nightdive Studio rarely disappoint!

One of the cool things about System Shock remake is that the Citadel station is constantly rotating for the artificial gravity, so the lighting in any area with windows is constantly changing. If this had ray raced global illumination then we'd see the realtime effects this has on all surfaces, maybe someone will RTXRemix it soon enough...

5ityMwN.gif
And the Cyberspace areas are really cool on OLED in ultrawide :cool:

+

Here's a direct, side-by-side comparison of the remake vs. the original.

Fun side note: the puzzles in this remake are a LOT harder than the wire ones in the original (on Normal and Hard difficulties).

Having a blast playing!

(wish they had an option to have the original music playing)

Nightdive has not yet made an original game. They have all been remasters or just ports into the KEX engine. I would say that technically, Nightdive has yet to make any game at all. Also, their reverse-engineered KEX engine port of Blade Runner was not well-received. I would call that one a bad game.

Nightdive is like Bluepoint Games in that all they do is remakes/remasters...I rank Bluepoint higher than Nightdive as they have a more varied portfolio of games

Wow, this 10 minute video is as much of the original SS as I've ever seen:

I hope he reviews the new one and gives his thoughts as a comparison. Looks like a massive improvement to visuals and gameplay.

Can easily recognize some areas from this new game. For the couple of folks who said they didn't think the remake looks that much better...better watch that and compare again or get your eyes checked ASAP. ;)

Glad this is being so well received so far. Nightdive took a while to deliver, but it seems as though all of that work is paying off in terms of sales and positive reception. I don't know what the numbers will be but it's clear some are thirsty for games like this, heh.

I am glued to this today. Lost plenty of time already due to not quick saving, but retreading ground is a good teacher. :)

Game is stable Abel, too. Not one crash.

Meh on the respawning enemies, but at least it’s a chance for loot (rare!). And what’s up with the hinky slow toilet bowl lid animation? :ROFLMAO:

Looks friggin’ good on OLED, too.

This is at least an 8/10. Kudos to the folks at Nightdive.

Had my first crash earlier in research level:

But aside from that, it's near perfection. I have the HUD disabled most of the time now as prefer the immersion since you cannot adjust the size of the HUD, and I quickly select weapons by pressing TAB then right click equip a weapon. Works for me.

One thing I really like about this is the lighting and reflections, they are so good it just adds to the atmosphere in a way that very few games are able to manage.

Jifs:

Last edited:
This game is imo the best remake made.. Might even top the Dead Space remake !!
That's quite the tough choice since I'm a big fan of both games....well at least this is shaping up to be a good year for PC games! At least for me.

But aside from that, it's near perfection. I have the HUD disabled most of the time now as prefer the immersion since you cannot adjust the size of the HUD, and I quickly select weapons by pressing TAB then right click equip a weapon. Works for me.

One thing I really like about this is the lighting and reflections, they are so good it just adds to the atmosphere in a way that very few games are able to manage.
Daym, those graphics are really crisp! Now I'm hyped af :D

Daym, those graphics are really crisp! Now I'm hyped af :D
The way he captured it is quite misleading as the graphics are the exact opposite of crisp in the game. You get anywhere near something it its fuzzy and pixelated.

I take back what I said, this looks 150% better than the initial beta footage that I saw before the game released!

Lol he claimed to get 120 fps at "8k" with only around 70% gpu usage. Digital foundry should really pay more attention as resolution scaling does not work in this game so pumping up to 200% when already at 4k does NOTHING and you will still be running 4k.

Finally got out of medical. I am so glad the VR parts are like playing descent now. I loathed the VR parts in the original game.

I find myself worrying a lot about ammo consumptions that I end up using the sparq beam thing almost all the time.

The way he captured it is quite misleading as the graphics are the exact opposite of crisp in the game. You get anywhere near something it its fuzzy and pixelated.
It's not misleading, my clips were to show off the lighting and volumetrics, not the textures. The GFX are crisp in-game. When you go up close to a texture yes it is pixelly and that's purely by design. The devs opted to use the nearest neighbour scaling to keep the visuals looking retro-modern, this has been confirmed by Nightdive in interviews. That doesn't stop the graphics looking crisp and excellent though. One of the few games that has no DLSS shimmering if enabled, no AA issues, no texture pop-in or shadow pop-in, no framerate drops randomly... Everything is just super smooth and super crisp at max settings.

See my screenshot gallery for 5160x2160 captures:

Lol he claimed to get 120 fps at "8k" with only around 70% gpu usage. Digital foundry should really pay more attention as resolution scaling does not work in this game so pumping up to 200% when already at 4k does NOTHING and you will still be running 4k.

The only way to get scaling working is by using DLDSR in this, yeah the resolution scaling slider doesn't seem to do anything, but DLDSR works perfectly, so for me I'm gaming at 5160x2160 with a Gsync 144fps (the screenshots above showing anything other than 144fps were taken during testing different settings etc and have now since settled on 144 gsync/vasync). Unlocked it's over 150fps but since my QD-OLED's refresh is 144Hz, I just keep it with vsync+gsync on so gsync can do its thing.

when people refer to crisp graphics they are mostly referring to textures...the lighting is the biggest improvement to the game and overall it looks really good in terms of a remake of a 23 year old game but it also still looks dated graphically

Patch 1.0 released

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/482400/view/3680050666250671871

-Fixed a crash that could occur when entering Flight Deck with older DX11 versions
-Fixed a crash that could occur when exiting Maintenance Cyberspace
-Fixed a crash that could occur when playing Grove Chess
-Fixed Ragdolls to not fall into place when loading into levels or saves [Players will have to save at least once to see it take effect after downloading this patch]
-Improved grenade rolling behavior when thrown
-Improved ragdoll behavior on Human Corpse attached to Cortex Reaver
-Fix for weapons with installed Modkits not always showing their attachments properly
-Fix Magnum laser sight FX not working properly when loading a save with it enabled
-Fix elevator music not stopping when the player dies in an elevator and respawns on another level
-Fix for Audio Log Portrait disappearing in certain cases
-Fix for game pausing unexpectedly after loading a game
-Fix equipment soft-lock that could occur when dying while arming an explosive
-Fix equipment soft-lock when saving and loading while focusing on a puzzle
-Credit Machines will dispense Tri-Credits when a Finance Chip is used on them
-Broadcast Monitors can now be shattered when attacked
-Minipistol Burst-Fire Modkit shoots three rounds instead of two, and can be toggled on/off

-Bio-Tanks that are destroyed will stop generating hazards after a short duration
-Items can be bound to the hotbar by pressing a hotbar hotkey while mousing over the item
-Balance tweaks to Maintenance Cyberspace Level
-Removed duplicate Audio Log from Flight Deck
-Fixed Softlock in Research Level by making Elevator Lobby doors and Circuit Breaker Room door always open if that Quadrant has power disabled.
-Fixed Softlock in Reactor when pulling the Reactor Self-Destruct Lever and reloading a save
-Improved Realspace Enemy AI
-Improved Cyberspace Enemy AI
-Improved Magnum Weapon laser dot FX
-Improved Mag-Pulse Weapon impact vortex FX
-Add Headbob Option to Accessibility Settings
-Added Autosave after using Surgery Machine on every Difficulty
-Fix for Surgery Machine getting stuck in a permanent busy state
-Fix for Energy Shield screen FX not restoring after loading a save
-Fix for pressing Back in the Media Reader to not close entire MFD
-Corrected the Escape Pod Status in MFD Status Screen when triggering Self Destruct sequence

is it possible to turn off burst fire on the pistol after the upgrade?
I don't think so, but the Skorpion (which is the logical upgrade over the Minipistol) can still snap off single shots with a light tap of the mouse button, even given the fact that it's fully automatic (it uses the exact same ammo as the MInipistol, but burns through ammo like crazy, so save those pistol rounds).

Oh also I made some observations today with DLSS on vs off. I thought that using DLSS Quality with DLDSR (so higher internal res) would mean that some light source shimmering in distant areas of a scene would not be something you'd notice, but turns out you do.

The absolute best option for picture quality and image stability for distant objects is DLDSR at 1.78xDL or 2.25xDL, so if your monitor's res is 3440x1440, then you'd be wanting to use DLDSR at 4506X1920or 5160x2160 - Both with DLSS disabled unless you can't maintain the framerates in which case you have no option but to use DLSS.

Note that even 3440x1440 native res with DLSS off still shows the distant light source shimmering so it's to do with the resolution and rendering pipeline ultimately.

5160x2160 + DLSS Quality

5160x2160 + DLSS OFF

4506X1920 + DLSS OFF

3440x1440 + DLSS OFF

Also notice that the brightness is slightly darker when capturing the gameplay at any DLDSR resolution? The native 3440x1440 is brighter (normal) - Weird. Screenshots are normal brightness though whether DLDSR or native.

I suspect this is UE4 in general and since the Resolution Scaling slider doesn't actually work in this game, the shimmering and darker video recording using a DSR factor etc is some glitch in the engine. This is the first game I have noticed this type of glitch. If resolution scaling in-game worked then I could have used 3440x1440 with say a 150% scaling factor to mimic DLDSR and see if that also has shimmering with and without DLSS.

ok so I need some help...I am totally lost at this point. I've cleaned medical, reactor, maintenance (as much as I can), storage and flight deck. Only important thing i've done is the radiation shield thing and now I have no clue what to do next. I cant get to executive level.

Finished this today. I feel like the last two floors, security and the bridge seemed rushed. the game went from one game to a totally different game it felt like. They must have added all those recharge things in case you were out of ammo. Upgraded Sparq beam was my weapon of choice there.

The final "battle" if you even want to call it that was pretty lame. It was a formality at best.

Overall I think they did a good job re-making a almost 30 year old game into something new that still felt like the old game.

Finished this today. I feel like the last two floors, security and the bridge seemed rushed. the game went from one game to a totally different game it felt like. They must have added all those recharge things in case you were out of ammo. Upgraded Sparq beam was my weapon of choice there.

The final "battle" if you even want to call it that was pretty lame. It was a formality at best.

Overall I think they did a good job re-making a almost 30 year old game into something new that still felt like the old game.
Nightdive was probably forced to push the game out the door when Atari acquired them.

I remember the last bit of the original was different / forced / not as good... Probably just couldn't figure out how to change it and stay true to the original.

I remember the last bit of the original was different / forced / not as good... Probably just couldn't figure out how to change it and stay true to the original.

I don't remember the original that well so this could be true. At least the cyberspace sections are playable now. I absolutely hated them in the original.

I don't remember the original that well so this could be true. At least the cyberspace sections are playable now. I absolutely hated them in the original.
The original's last cyberspace fight with Shodan was especially crappy as well (even if the rest of the game, up to that point, was quite good).
I do like what Nightdive has done with the bigger overall level schemes & additional v-mails.
This is a solid remake, in my book (would've like to have seen even more, but this works well).

Nightdive thought it was 'going to get grilled' about the lack of hand-holding in System Shock remake, but players loved it

Part of its nature as an immersive game was that System Shock didn't hold players' hands: it gave them objectives, sure, but then it's up to you to work out where you need to go and what to do. It avoids things like the breadcrumb trails so pervasive in almost every major title now, something that Nightdive found resonated with the contemporary audience in its remake.

"One of the big surprises that we found after releasing the game was that because we stuck so closely to the original mechanics, and just the formula, we found a lot of people praising us for not holding their hands; for not including waypoints and a mission point and objective markers and stuff like that," says Stephen Kick.

"The surprise was: we originally thought that we were going to get grilled on that pretty hard, because it’s become such a standard and staple in games these days. The most surprising thing for us was that people described it as an atrophied part of their brain starting to wake up again as a result of playing System Shock, because it actually trusted them, and it respected them. And it made them think again, while playing the game. As much as I would like to take credit for that–you know, it’s a direct translation of what’s in the original."

(y)

Sounds like physical goods are shipping soon. Today is the last day for backers to lock in your address. Or are they just kidding? :D

Patch 1.2 out today comes with a 55% discount on the game for the next 2 weeks.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/System_Shock/

Game was well worth the original price of $40, so for anyone who was on the fence due to not having a strong connection to the original games I doubt you'd find very much to complain about for $18.

It's much more old school than new school - there isn't much hand-holding, there are no constant points of interest to guide you thus encouraging exploration and problem solving, there's no filler content designed to artificially stretch the game out to 80+ hours, and there are zero microtransactions of any kind. Just a good solid single player campaign.

Patch notes:

A female Hacker has now been added as a playable character
- Select the Hacker’s appearance from the New Game Configuration screen

Reworked the entire final fight with new mechanics and a unique flow
- Face and defeat (?) Shodan once more in her new cyberspace domain

Cloud Sync support has been added
- You can now pick up and continue your game on whichever machine you find yourself on

Other major Changes
  • Alpha Strain enemies have a new attack
  • Avian Mutant enemies have a new attack
  • Cyborg Diego has new movement options
  • Continued refining enemy AI and behaviors
  • Mission waypoints have been implemented for (Easy mission difficulty)
  • Better Gamepad handling and implementation
  • Major optimizations across the entire game — Steam Deck users rejoice!
  • Achievements are properly awarded when completing the requirements
  • Some first person Hacker animations have been corrected
  • General combat and speed balance adjustments across enemies and weapons
  • Credits added to the Title Screen
  • Improved quest logic behavior across several areas of the game
  • Players can now no longer save over the AutoSave, and the AutoSave will now only appear in the Load Game menu
  • Game Over screen can now be skipped
  • Recycle Station ‘inventory’ size has increased to 4x3 from 3x3 to allow recycling of bigger junk items. Scrapper rejoice!
  • The max payout from a Recycle Station is now 120 Credits
  • EMP stun duration has been reduced by 25%
  • SHODAN will lock the Research control room door if the player fires the Mining Laser at Earth
  • Detox patch now has a 25% protection bonus against environment hazards while active
  • Fix a soft lock that could occur when dying while interacting with a Surgery Machine
  • Items dropped inside of elevators should no longer disappear
  • Pathfinding performance improvements in Flight Deck and Groves
  • Fix a case where the player was able to clip through the world by loading games while crouched
  • Fix a case where plasma projectile FX would spawn every frame and wouldn’t clean up properly, causing major frame drops

Minor changes
  • Easier to see total counts of collected Media items
  • Added a button to the entrance of the Security level to ensure you can backtrack to the rest of the Station
  • General FX improvements and tweaks
  • New artwork on monitors across Citadel Station
  • Enemy callouts and vocals are less frequent now
  • Better text sizing for all languages
  • Jump Jet behavior improved
  • The color of some projectiles were tweaked
  • Sped up animations of using Dermal Patches
  • Enemies who are near Restoration Bays will be teleported to their spawn location to ensure the Hacker doesn’t get softlocked by being killed repeatedly
  • Save files are now counted incrementally
  • Fix ups of various Cyberspace levels and enemy placements within
  • Better handling of Hacker death in unlikely scenarios
  • SHODAN now has a surprise for the player when Diego is killed on the Security level
  • Total Enemy Reinforcements have been increased across all levels
  • Reduced the number of enemies that can bunch up in the same Reinforcement Volume
  • Enemies will remember the player for longer on all difficulties
  • Enemy line of checks include the projectile collision radius whenever possible so that their attacks fail less often
  • Fixed an enemy ambush that wasn’t activating properly in the Medical CPU room if the player comes back later in the game
  • Kickstarter corpse tokens added to enemies
  • Enemy awareness in the Flight Deck trap room after saving and loading has been fixed
  • Diego boss AI adjustments, largely in the first encounter
  • Cortex Reavers can now perform a strafe jump to more quickly engage the player
  • Mutated Cyborg and Tiger-Gorilla dismemberment has been fixed
  • Cyborg Mantis walks faster, will sprint more frequently, and HP increased slightly
  • Flier-Bots now have an Autocannon in addition to Gas Grenade attacks
  • Striker-Bots now have a Laser Cannon in addition to Homing Missile attacks
  • Flier-Bot and Striker-Bot textures have been improved
  • Fix for Hoppers and Mobile Lasers not being able to hit the player while leaning behind a wall
  • Security-1 Bot now has a rapid fire attack pose
  • Cyborg Warrior now has a moving attack similar to the Security-2 Bot
  • Cyborg Elite Guard head-mounted laser attack damage increased from 60 to 80
  • Alpha Strain long range attack now has a unique animation
  • Skorpion default inventory size has been reduced from 4x2 to 3x2
  • Assault Rifle damage increased slightly from 24 to 25 per round
  • Plasma Rifle now has an animation to unload the active Plasma Core
  • Abe Ghiran’s Head inventory size has been increased from 1x1 to 2x2
  • Missing character portraits have been added
  • Cyberspace I.C.E Shield FX has been improved
  • Wire Puzzle has new FX to more clearly indicate the required power level to solve it
  • Fix for Circuit Puzzle dead-end nodes filling from the wrong side in some cases
  • Fixed holes in the walls in Research tiles,
  • Berserk patches now cost 5 Tri-Credits from a dispenser instead of 4
  • Shotgun ammo cost in Ammo Depots has been reduced from 15 to 14 credits
  • Loot table adjustments to reduce quantity of ammo received from Exec-Bots, Flier-Bots, Striker-Bots and Cyborg Enforcers
  • Ammo adjustments in Reactor, Alpha Grove, Delta Grove, Engineering, Security, and Bridge
  • Reduced the number of First Aid Kit pickups in Flight Deck, Security and Bridge
  • Assigned the correct idle animation to the Cyborg Drones (No more hovering guns while they are charging)
  • Jump Jet improvements while in Low Gravity Volumes
  • Loading a save while falling will properly restore the player’s velocity
  • Barrel dispensers will no longer drop their dispensed barrels when the player leaves and comes back to a level.
  • Energy Drain Mines will no longer prepend multiple “Destroyed” strings to their name after being repeatedly destroyed
  • Fix for player losing Low-Grav/Repulsor mods when switching to certain weapons
  • Improvements to how the enemy AI handles changing Repulsor Lift direction
  • Reactor’s Repulsor Lifts have been adjusted slightly to fix potential soft locks
  • Fix for the player being able to exit the Diego V1 arena by blocking main doorway
  • Doors will more elegantly restore their collision state when loading a save
  • Shotgun shell texture has been fixed
  • Crack-O’s are now no longer considered Junk
  • Fix for certain wall monitors not breaking when attacked
  • Fixed small animation issue with the Isolinear Chipset on the Bridge
  • Fixed sparking cable issues on Maintenance
  • Fix for several achievements not completing properly
  • Small text adjustments and spellings
  • Music playback adjustments
  • Fixed a potential audio component memory leak when concurrency limits were reached
  • Added a Controller Vibration accessibility option
  • Improved gamepad support on MFD
  • Improved automap performance
  • Fixed several visual artefacts on the automap
  • Automap will always update the map info bar with the data for the currently selected level
  • Implant tooltips will no longer display off the edge of the screen on certain display configs
  • Fix for the ‘Back’ button on gamepad causing the player to crouch when exiting menus
  • Credits updated
  • Other minor improvements, adjustments and balance tweaks

Back