System Shock Remake Development Halted

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Nightdive Studios is taking a temporary break from developing System Shock. According to CEO Stephen Kick, things have gotten “out of control” because the team decided to make “a completely new game” instead of a simple remake, ballooning the budget in the process.

I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

I wonder how many kickstarter backers wanted a remake versus a whole new game.

They should have just stuck with the original plan. Modern graphics, but same traditional level design, and modern controls. I think fans would get exactly what they were hoping for then and it wouldn't have spiraled out of control.

Well perhaps they where way off the rails here... this looks like a legal issue here. These guys had the rights to remaster, not spin up a sequel. Otherside has the rights to SH 3.... I don't imagine this remaster developer had the rights to create a full expanded SH game of any kind.

I really have no idea why anyone would have given them money to be honest.... I mean Warren Spector (SHs actual real producer) is working on a third one. No real news on the project for awhile (that is to be expected with an actual real project), but Starbreeze is lined up to publish and things seem to be on track.
https://otherside-e.com/wp/games/system-shock-3/

Last edited:
Damn. I was getting amp up for this. Not giving up hope. One of my favorite titles.

I respect the designers right to call crow. However, what are they doing with the Kickstarter funding? Since they got enough to make the game, make it! If there are lots of extra funds, either refund it or ???

Nightdive Studios is taking a temporary break from developing System Shock. According to CEO Stephen Kick, things have gotten “out of control” because the team decided to make “a completely new game” instead of a simple remake, ballooning the budget in the process.

I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

Don't let the inmates run your asylum.

Back