System Running Slow... Why?

inxfernxo

n00b
Ok I have me a new Asus S - Presso I built w/

W2K Pro
3.2GHZ Prescott
PC3200 512MB x 2
80 GB Drive w/ 20GB / 55GB Partition

I have no spyware or addware cuz I haven't been online yet but I have a really slow Start Menu and when I try opening Media Files they take a while too. I remember that my dumb ass stuck in a 3.0v Video card in the AGP slot and it only supports 1.5v you guys think that might have something to do w/ it running operations slow now?

Check task manager and see how much CPU time is being eaten up and how much RAM is being used.

Is it a new system?
Did it suddenly start happening?

Little more info please.

checking task manager was the 1st thing I did and everything checked out fine, the CPU would always run low and I would not use more than 50% of my memory. I also ran Burn-In-Test and it said my CPU and Mem were all fine.

I've had the system built for a month and a half I think...

1st the boot time became longer and then I started having problems w/ the start menu and applicationsa couple weeks after I built the system. How ever after the VGA incident it seems to have gotten alot worse.

You could download the diag utility from the hard drive's website and test that out.

So then you think it could actually be the HD thats messed up and not the Mother Board?

That's why I suggested trying it out. A motherboard either works or it doesn't. A bad hard drive can grind itself down in a slow death.

Thanks I'll try that out tonight and bitch some more if it doesn't work lol

thanks a bunch

Along the lines of the HDD - are you running it in DMA mode?

Damn haven't taken a look at that but I will tonight....

As for the Drive it is fine according to the Western Digital Diagnostic Tool.

Another thing I noticed recently is that when I put a visualization in Media Player, while a song plays, it runs really slow. How ever if it runs in the background the graphics speed up to the normal rate. Movies and Clips run fine though.

Back