System Restore Question

JC0724

Weaksauce
I just recently bought a new Sony Laptop. I want to create a system restore file on my hard drive. I am not sure if it is possible, but if so can some one give me some guide lines on how to do it?

I tried myself but when I went to pick the hard drive space it was basically grayed out.

That partition probably already has your factory default restore files. Usually when you first buy a new laptop, the manufacturer makes you create your own restore disks through a utility pre-installed on your laptop using DVD's.

System Restore only recovers system files back to a certain date. It is not a true recovery solution, for events of total system failure.

View this page on how to create a set of recovery disc for your Sony laptop. Even if your's is slightly different, the concept is the same. You just need to find the program on the machine.

I would just start using Acronis true image. Definitely worth it. Read about it. It will save you lots of hassles.

If its Windows 7 you could also use the built in backup application to create a system image disk and rescue disk to restore an image of your computer aswell. You can burn it to disk, or external drive, or if its Professional or Higer network storage.

I don't think you can create a system image (if that's what you are trying to do) on the same disc as the one you are trying to image. It has to go on a different drive.

I don't believe my laptop came with any Dvds. I just had to do a lot of install via VIAO updates and Window's Updates.

I heard that you can create a partition on the hard drive that will work as a restore point. I just couldn't figure out how to do it on my laptop.

I will review the link you gave bigdogchris

you have 2 options

1) do what Bigdogchris mentioned, find the software and start the recovery cd creation process. On new sony's, the software is sony vaio care, and there is an option there to do a complete backup or create recovery media or something of the sort

----this will create factory state media, I do not believe sony gives you the option to make a current snapshot

2) Use the windows 7 built-in backup software to make a current system image as javelin mentioned. It's in control panel -> restore and backup "create image" AND "create repair disc". I don't remember if thats exactly what the options say, but something of that nature. You need the repair/recovery/system disc to boot to and reload the image from the image disc(s).

----- this will NOT create factory setttings discs, only the current state of the computer

Neither of these are "system restore" as in "microsoft system restore".

I am having trouble restoring my Sony Vaio laptop to factory specs but I didn't want to keep files. I made the restore discs but when I tried to restore it came up with an error.
I thought not saving all the info would be easier but seems its not. Just frustrating.

I am having trouble restoring my Sony Vaio laptop to factory specs but I didn't want to keep files. I made the restore discs but when I tried to restore it came up with an error.
I thought not saving all the info would be easier but seems its not. Just frustrating.

I'd recommend starting a new thread with your specific error and model of sony laptop

Back