System Restore = Now Windows take forever to load.

blade52x

2[H]4U
So I did something that slightly messed up my computer. I was messing around with nvidia's FP scaling, and ending up losing my display. I had to boot into safe mode, and just decided to system restore to a previous point (which was about 3-4 days prior).

Anyway, every time Windows loads now, I see my background, and it just seems to stall there for a good minute. I then get a message about some kind of registry error and the file was recovered from a backup or log. This keeps happening every single time I boot Windows now.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Don't reinstall. Use the XP install disk, and run a repair. Its one of the options you get to chose when you are selecting an install location. Just hit 'r' for repair.

I very highly doubt a "repair" will fix the long loading times.

And from my experience with a "repair" install it is only good to retrieve any files you might need.

99.9% of the time, it totally jacks up most everything in windows.

Also... if you have a higher service pack installed than what is on the Install CD.. you are totally screwed.

i had the same problem. it happen to me after i installed all the languages in windows update, i formated and reinstall it.

yep, reinstall

and this time, before you go messing with things, make a backup image of your installation using ghost or some other disk imaging software, in case you screw something up and need to recover. works much better than system restore, by far.

Back