System restore doesn't work

RancidWAnnaRIot

EspantaPajaros
I ran some ad remover software (ad-aware) and now i have two problems

1) everytime i start windows i get an error that say's failed to run windows/image.dll

2) my system restore doesn't work. when i try to open it i get
Entry point REmoteAccesssysterestore not found in dynamic link library WINSTA.dll

anyone have a clue on what to do?

Thanks

Restore what you deleted from the AdAware backup. Maybe it will put the association back. The downside is that it will also restore whatever adware you were trying to get rid of in the first place. That may, or may not, work. Maybe it's worth a try, though. If it does work, there are other ways to get rid of that particular piece of adware/spyware besides AdAware.

If that fails, post back. There are some command line restorations that can be done.

crap.. ok well i fixed the first problem... but even when i restore with ad aware the restore still doesn't work.

I read something on the microsoft website. It describes my exact problem. but the directions don't work.. it say's go to START>>SETTINGS there is no settings!!.. it say's to go to some kind of restore control panel which i can't find! >=\.. i read some other thing about running a sfc /scannow command, but i didn't fully read it cause i had to go out. i want to avoid trying that though.. i want to exhaust all other options. Anyway i think it might screw up the dual boot i'm runnign with linux...

OK...Consider the System Restore points up until now as hosed. Did you get rid of the adware/spyware? If you did, turn off System Restore and reboot. Then, defragment, and turn System restore back on. Reboot again. After that, you should have a new restore point that will work, if you need it in the future. You need to make sure your rig is right before you do it, however.

I believe that doing this will make new associations that will work. (I could be wrong.)

The stuff you read at MS probably applies if sys config got screwed up. I wouldn't deal with all that, if you have the machine running OK, except for System Restore.

yea i got rid of the spy ware and got the error message to stop appearing.. everything is how i want it.. except the system restore utility.. so now my problem is.. how in the hell do i turn off system restore i've been looking through everything...

My computer icon, right click....Properties/System Restore.

>=\ there is no system restore.. i don't see it... i just have hardware, advance, general, Remote, automatic updates, and computer name... >=\ what the hell is going on?

Interesting....hmm......

Try this:
Right click My Computer/Manage/Services/System Restore Service/Properties...Startup type should be checked as Automatic. If not, change it. I wasn't aware that the option for System Restore under My Computer's properties would ever dissappear, so something else may be going on here. (or I just didn't know. :rolleyes: ) Anyway, try it, and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that you may have to overwrite XP, but I wouldn't go there just yet.

Did you look here? Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools?

A spyware or virus that deletes System Restore is a new one on me. I think we can get it back.

You did run a virus scan?

I'm running virus scan as i type this.. but like i said.. when i go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and click on system restore, it tells me entry point remoteaccesssystemrestore failed to open. and then it say's can't find something in the dll WINSTA.dll

I went into services by going to control panel and then administrative tools to shut off system restore.

Like i said, i'm running virus scan right now, and then i'm gonna defrag, then reboot and re-start system restore. BUt i think it's still gonna give me the same error

No viruses found.. I'm gonna read into that sfc thing more.. but i'm gonna have to do it later.. i have a Circuits lab practical/final this tuesday and a crap load of work to do for other classes. So i'm gonna do it some time in the not too far not too near future.

Incase anyone wants to follow up.. i got system restore to work again... sfc /scannow didn't work.. what did work was going to C:\windows\inf and then right clicking the file sr and then selecting install.. after that i just rebooted and viola!! it works...

Interesting. There are people out there who would like to know how to uninstall things like System Restore, you know? Go figure.
Anyway, I'm glad you managed to get it back.

Back