system restore and usb connections corrupted ???

piazza2

n00b
:( good morning
can you please help me with some questions?
my computer is dell 2300 from nov.2002 windows xp
in the 10 or so days I waited to renew my norton antivirus subscription I may have gotten a virus
it started with the loss of trasparency behind the text of all icons on the desktop,now there is a block of color behind the text , I tried to revert it to trasparent in DISPLAY/APPEARANCE/ADVANCED but didn't find a transparent choice
fearing a virus I went to system restore,which saved me before ,but this time it was deactivated,with the dialog ;SYSTEM RESTORE HAS BEEN TURNED OFF BY GROUP POLICY.TO TURN ON SISTEM RESTORE,CONTACT YOUR DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR,
mine is a home computer,never had other accounts,network or sharing
is this normal?did I changed settings by accident? or is some virus messing up my computer?
I tried to go into system restore from every angle,hit a brick wall every time,inaccesible
I reinstalled windows xp with other difficulties too,
a dialog , ;THE FILE 'IALMNT5.SYS ON INTEL (R) EXTREME GRAPHICS CONTROLLER WINDOW 2000/XP INSTALLATION DISK IS NEEDED....wich I didn't know what to do but I clicked to skip it successfully

THE PROCEDURE ENTRY POINT GET IUMS COULD NOT BE LOCATED IN THE DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY MSDART.DLL.....I let the computer idle for 3 hours after this dialog with no options , to find it at ,reinstallation finished

after the reinstallation,all my usb ports are inactive,6 ,hard drives,cameras and printer don't connect
they are not even noticed by the computer
I tried to switch cables in all ports , reinstall drivers,nothing seems to work ,even though the HARDWARE/DEVICE MANAGER/UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLER says that all devices are working properly exept maybe for
intel (r) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 ENHANCED HOST CONTROLLER-24CD SAYS NO DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED FOR THIS DEVICE
the firewire connection is very defective
only the CD/DVD drive is working good
hope these are not too many questions
any help and advice is appreciated
thanks to all

Back