System Resotre on Dell Laptop

joe6269

n00b
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my hardrive on a dell inspiron 6000, but have no system restore disk from when I purchased it. The restore itself is prompted to start by hitting F2 during bootup.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might upgrade to a larger drive and still restpre the operation system? Dell in its infinite wisdowm wants to charge me $99 just for the priveledge of asking them this exact question.

I thought about a using ghost to an external drive then re-ghosting the external drive back to my new hardrive, but this seems like a lot of hassle. Is there an easier way?

Joe

Yeah, that's not going to be an easy task. You could maybe put the image onto a dvd or something with ghost and ghost it back over once you have the new hdd in.

thats a pretty easy task. Ghost to DVD(s) and reimage it. You will at least have your own backup after that. Prolly wouldn't take more than an hour and a half.

I'm also betting time to image and then restore that image is going to be much less compared to re-installing OS, re-installing software, re-installing drivers, copying data, settings, etc.

Yep, ghost the drive to an image on an external drive, insert new drive into lappy, then pull the image down onto the new drive.

The easiest and quickest prboably

Back