• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

System powers up then quickly dies!

Vuronev

n00b
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
47
I just upgraded my 3700+ and zalman 7000 hsf to a 3800+ x2 and a zalman 9500 hsf and decided to power up the system to test it out but it is behaving oddly. I am still waiting on a new videocard to arrive so the system currently has no card installed.

When I hit the power button, the system will begin to power up, lights come on and the fans spin up for about 2 sec. before stopping. Everything just turns off and pushing the power button again won't cause anything to happen. Only if I flip the PSU switch off and then on will the system power up again, but only for another 2 seconds before stopping again. I can repeat this over and over with the same result every time.

I tried removing the mobo and carefully reseating the cpu and hsf as well as making sure the mobo was properly screwed to the case. After plugging everything back in and making sure the RAM is also secure, the same result continues.

The system was working perfectly when I shut it down for a week while waiting for my new parts to arrive. Other than the CPU and the HSF everything is still the same.

Any idea what the problem might be? Is the PSU suddenly bad or perhaps the new CPU is a lemon? Or is this just cause I dont have a vidcard installed yet?

I have a spare 330w psu around and I'll try using that one and see how it goes, but at the moment I'm just not sure what the problem is.

Thanks for any help!

Here's the system specs:

Athlon64 3800+x2
2x1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
Zalman 9500 hsf
Asus A8N-E mobo rev.2 w/ latest bios
Liteon dvd burner
Liton cdrw/dvdrom
Seagate 7200.7 sata 120gb
Seagate 200gb eide
floppy drive
Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
Antech Truepower 2.0 550w PSU
 
Some new info:

I removed the 550w antec PSU and put in a generic 330w I had around, and the system seems to power up just fine, though I did leave one dvddrive and harddrive unplugged just to be safe since it's only 330w.

I also put the 550w psu into an old backup system I have, athlonxp 1800+ with an ati 9800pro one cdrw drive and one harddrive and that system powers up normally too.

However, I did notice that both the back and bottom fans in the antec 550w psu were not spinning at all. I am not sure if this is because it wasn't warm enough to require spinning up, or if both fans are dead and that might be the basic problem.

Any ideas?
 
Thanks, already opened a ticket and have been told to send them my invoice copy and an rma request form.

Hopefully they'll process it pretty quickly and give me an RMA number.

Sucks that the thing would crap out after only 4 months, wasn't oc'ing, just normal use in a normal temp room.
 
Back
Top