System powers on, won't even POST

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I've got an older P5N32-SLI Premium / X6800 system that has run perfectly for several years, but today I go to power it up and I get virtually nothing from it.

As I pressed the power button on the case, its metallic coating gave me a small static shock as I pressed it, after an abnormally long delay (~1-2 seconds) the system started to power up but then immediately powered down, before any beep or POST even took place.

Everything up until it shuts back off sounds normal, and after this happens it will not power back on, despite the onboard power LED being lit and the network activity lights working as normal. I can repeat the cycle by turning the PSU on/off but it results in exactly the same power off scenario every time.

I tried resetting the CMOS, which did reset it,noticed by the change in fan behavior back to default for the brief moment its running; but did not change the power issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

it could be anything from a faulty power switch on the case to a dying mobo.

Yeah, that's what I figure too, pretty big spectrum that it could be.

The PSU has been replaced more recently, a Corsair HX550W.

I could test the switch, by jumping the pins manually.

Could be a grounding issue, too. Try a barebone setup outside of the case, and if you can, try another PSU. Steps are in the Troubleshooting guide sticky.

Back