• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

System Planning

Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
12
As this is my first post on [H], I’d like to say a preliminary hello and thanks to the repliers.

Because money is tight, I'd like to just upgrade a component or two and keep my system until at least summer 06. I'm having a difficult time identifying the bottleneck (or future bottleneck) in my current system. Currently I can play Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 at respectable resolutions and achieve playable frames, but I do realize within half a year- things might become difficult. What could offer the biggest improvement for the investment?

Specs:
ABIT IC7-MAX3
P4 2.8 800fsb
1 GB (512x2) 3700 Corsair
ATI 9800xt
SATA 2x120gb Raid 0

Follow up question: Does 2GBs of RAM actually have a noticeable improvement on gaming?

Thanks,
Moose
 
upgrade cooling, oc that sucker, and get a 6800GT or something and...

BAM new computer :D

For gaming 2 gigs will be a waste...not much of a difference, if any at all.
 
Welcome to forums Moose.

Your system is pretty well balanced. Currently your video card is still very respectable, and your CPU and RAM are up to par. I can't see a single upgrade other than a video card that would give a decent boost. I don't think you'll have much trouble running games until summer of '06 with that rig. Unless you *need* to run them at higher resolutions.

If you're really worried about gaming performance, I'd waid a few months and then pick up a 6800GT for dirt cheap.
 
Back
Top