System keeps restarting. Help plz.

I was on my comp today then all the sudden it froze up. I had to turn it off to restart it and when it came back on it loads up to the windows XP sceen then restarts, it does this over and over. I ran a chkdsk and it says the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. What should i do?

First, hit F8 during boot sequence, and try "load from last known good configuration".

If that doesn't work, try the other option to load from a previous save point (also in F8 menu) - can't remember the exact term for that one.

If that doesn't work, try starting in Safe Mode (same menu), and getting rid of whatever program you installed most recently.

If all else fails, boot into Safe Mode, backup everything you need to another disk, and reinstall Windows.

*If you have an Asus board - the F8 option will sometimes take you into a disk selection screen. Escape from that, and hit F8 again to load the correct menu.

Edited because I can't spell this morning

Here's a link for Memtest, but I doubt that ram is your problem. You might want to download the diagnostic tools from your hard drive manufacturer and run those, see what comes up.

I have been there twice. I believe that your pc powered off before you could save your settings and then powered back on, logged on, and then it trashed your registry. And then afterwards your pc restarted and logged on, so your registry (the bad one) has been saved and the OS deleted the last registry. If im right you can load windows xp and restore the OS and keep the files, do that so you can save your important files, and then do a destructive recovery.
I have done the mem test, hardware test, and every test imaginable, but, if the registry is trashed, then its trashed.
Also, get a disk imaging software(acronis, or ghost) and it'll save you a weekend of installing shit.
Like i said, i have been there, twice.

If it turns out not to be hardware, it might be time for you to back up all your files and do a clean install.

Back