System is dead I think -RIP- Plz help

USMC_Grunt

Gawd
Ok, I got a shitty virus (I believe) that screwed up my OS. Ok, thats not bad, but I don't think it stopped there. I can't even reformat the thing. I got to a prompt with cd drivers once, and it said that W2K setup can't run in DOS mode, which is retarded because it loaded all of the windows drivers. I made a W2K boot disk, and all I get is a "Disk I/O" error. And what really scares me, is that my keyboard lags horribly. That has NEVER happened to me before. Right when the thing starts up, the Num Lock light doesn't go on, and if I go into say... my BIOS setup, it lags. Also, well like it mattered because I was screwed anyways, I removed my HD partition with FDISK, so now there isn't even any remains of an OS hehe.

I have never had this severe of a problem before and I have NO clue what to do. Would clearing the CMOS do anything? I'm desperate, I need to wipe everything clean.

Holy shit! I unplugged the mouse, and now its working! WTF IS THAT ALL ABOUT! Well its not working but I got the W2K setup to come up. I feel like a complete fool now. lol, well I hope this works.

Ok, I spoke too soon. It was a tease. Setup loaded, but there is no partition to put anything on heh. I probably have to create another, but I want to be able to format it yet. How can I format my friggen HD?

I got the W2k setup screen to come up. I can actually boot off of it now, but oddly enough when I try to install W2k, it says that it can't read the cd. Thats funny, it booted off of it, but 10 seconds later it can't see it.

I really need help guys. I NEED my computer running. Thanks again in advance for anyone who tries.

I made the W2k boot disks, but everytime it gives me a Disk I/O error. I just find it weird that it can boot off of the W2k cd, but then it can't read it when I try to install W2k. Something isn't right here.

I had a stick of my RAM die once and I tried to reinstall the OS. It booted the OS cd but quickly into the setu pwould die. That sounds a little similar but maybe not.

What made you think you got a virus? It sounds like maybe something in your hardware might have died. If the inside of your computer is really dusty blow all that out, it might be causing problems

it may be possible that your HDD is on its last leg.

I had around 450 Compaq machines that had those horrible fujitsu HDD's that would fail out of no where....most of the time when one of these HDDs died, it would hang when you tried to enter the BIOS, and you cound't FDISK them. But you COULD put them as a slave in a known working machine and pull data off of them...

So...if you have another working win2k or winxp machine...take your hdd and set it up as a slave in that machine...then use computer management to delete the partitions, create a new one and format. IF after those steps you still can't install the OS on that HDD in your other machine...then you may need to look into gettin and RMA number for it (If its under warranty still)

The reason I thought I had a virus is because 2 days ago AVG found one and removed it. Maybe it didn't get all of it. Well, I formatted my HD so there is nothing on it. When I boot up from the HD it says "Invalid Disk" or something of the like. I thought it was supposed to bring me to a command prompt. The only problem I'm having now is that it can boot off the cd, but when I actually press enter to install W2k, it says that it can't read the cd, which is completely illogical. I'm stuck there.

BTW, can't RMA, system is 3 or so years old heh.

I don't think having DOS would help at all. I can get into the setup, but during the install step, it just won't read the cd. I'm going to try to install Win98 and see if that works.

Help me [H]ard Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

That was probably the gayest thing I have EVER said. Thats how desperate I am. heh

Well I finally got it working. For some reason it let me install Win98 on it, and then I just put W2k over it.

Again, thank you everyone for trying to help. Thats why I love this forum.

I had my BVC3A mobo do the same thing, it would lag really bad on everything and the bios would show garbled characters sometimes, I fdisked the hdd that was infected in another computer to get rid of the virus and it's worked fine ever since. It was almost like it garbled the cmos ram.

The virus was Win95.spaces.1445

Back