System image backup - Acronis

craige4u

Weaksauce
I want to backup my C drive (Windows partition), in such a way that every game & softwares that i have installed on my "D drive (data partition)" doesn't stop working when i format my PC....

So, i want to copy the C drive image to secondary internal HDD and when my primary drive requires format, i will format it and connect my secondary HDD for full image backup of C drive.... So this is possible via Acronis, Right!?

So you're going to image C: to D:, then format C:, then dump the image back onto it? If so, I don't see the point.

I think I'm misunderstanding your intentions.

I install windows & softwares on C Drive & Games on D drive. Now the games tht i install has all Securom and other files install by default on C drive. So now whenever i format my C drive i have reinstall all my games and re-download the patches......

So, i want to image C drive to another HDD, and then format C and after format want to transfer the image back to C drive, so tht all my games work as before without the need to reinstall....

An image replaces everything, so there really is no point in creating an image, then formating, then reinstalling the image - that's the same as just leaving your system the way it is. Are you putting in a new hard drive or something - because that's where you'd want to use an image like you describe. The question is - why do you feel like you need to format your C drive?

But yes, it is possible with Acronis, and with Win 7s built in backup utility (and Vista as well).

You guyz have experience with Windows backup utility? (Windows 7 x64)
I wonder what is better, acronis or windows backup?

PS: i dont mind paying for good software.

I've used both - I find the the Win 7 built-in backup works plenty good enough for images, and it's free so that's what I'm using.

I find the Acronis Software to perform better when backing up individual partitions. Windows backup, for some reason, doesn't give you the option to restore individual partitions wherever you want them on the drive; for example if you have a C: and D: partition, and you backup only the former then restore it on a blank disk that is as big or larger it will still create an empty D: partition (I think this is because Windows backup backs up the partition table along with whatever partition you're backing up whereas Acronis strictly backs up the chosen partition only).

You can already get a stripped down (but still plenty functional) version of Acronis TrueImage for free if you have a Western Digital or Seagate Drive (under the name "Disk Wizard" for the latter). Both brands don't even have to be system drives; they can also be external disks hooked up via USB or eSATA.

1] I just checked out windows 7 inbuilt backup utility, i understood how 2 create backup image. but have sum confusion on how to restore/install the image back if the need arises.

Guide me what are the menu options i have go through to restore image.

PS: There is an option, under system & security --> backup & restore --> Restore--> Select another backup to restore files from... (But i dont think i have to use this option)

2]As the above poster mentioned, tht windows also copy partition table information, so incase if i just create a image backup of C drive..... so after restore, do i run a chance of windows messing my other partions also ??

3] Irrespective of me using any program, do i have to clean format C Drive by using windows DVD, and then have to install via previously stored image OR i have to directly restore the image without touching the affected bad partition.

I have learn about the acronis software, seems professional and reliable for users for a long time.
expectation!

In Win 7 you have the option to create a CD/DVD boot disk to restore from. This keeps you from having to reinstall win 7 before restoring. It works GREAT. I used it on a drive swap on my laptop but be warned that the boot disk is only good for the operating system version used as in Ult, Pro, Home..... etc.
Also, the partitions will be the same as before.

Acronis for many years here. Works well. Their version 11 have had a few rough patches, but all in all works much better than the Win 7 image program..

Back