• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

System Idle process cpu 98-99? w/ 31 processes HUH?!

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
4,834
After I restart I was looking at my processes and just sitting here it goes from 98-99. Is this normal I mean why would my comp just be sitting here doing so much? Also why does it show 31 processes but nothing running other than what I guess is in the System Idle Processes?
 
you have spyware and virii...

I stripped my shit down to system files plus sound process, nvidia driver process and Rivatuner process, that's 17 processes.

You should have about that when your system is running with no problems at start up, that's why you're idling so high.

~Adam
 
It's normal for system idle process to take up 98/99%. As long as the total CPU usage is still low, then that is perfectly normal for Windows XP. They all do it.
 
oh... you mean your system idle process is 98-99%? that's normal, if your total cpu usage is >5% you have problems.

BTW 30 processes at startup is horrendous.

~Adam
 
hehe, ive stripped good old Win2k down to 13 processes, thats counting the taskman.exe to view those processes and explorer.exe as well =D i think i use like all of 73MB at idle =b
it gets down to just above 50MB when i kill off explorer.exe for benching and the like ;P

(can u tell i hate XP? =b)

anyway, back on topic. if System Idle Process is sitting there taking 98-99% constantly then thats great, you have a computer and it runs/idles correctly, otherwise you have a virus/spy/malware on your computer, sad as it may be sometimes the only way i could clean a computer from the above mentioned malacies was to format =/

~B1zz
 
I know! How do I get rid of the 31 and cut it down what should I be looking at?
 
You're on XP right?

When you hit ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager one of the tabs should list all of your running processes. I like to google the processes I don't recognize. Thirty-one sounds high. I'm typically in the teens to low twenties depending on what I'm doing.

Now lets talk about how to kill anything malicous. You should scan for spyware and viruses at least once a week, I like to do it right before my weekly defrag. You should have a good virus scanner. AVG is free, so is Panda Active Scan. You should also download and install the free versions of both AdAware and Spybot S&D.

To kill bloat start by checking out everything running down in the system tray next to the clock on your taskbar. If you don't use it or need it see if you can turn it off. My system tray at boot has two items MBM5 and my sound card controls. The next step is to run msconfig (Start>Run> [type "msconfig"]) grab the startup tab and once again kill anything you don't use, don't need or just shouldn't be running.

You should also tweak you services. There are a few good guides floating around, but the basic idea is to set anything you don't need to 'manual.' To edit your services hit Start>All Programs>Administrative Tools>Services. If it isn't there you can also get to it through the control panel.

Best of luck.

-dB
 
99% is absolutely fine - it means your system is idling. They needed to make everything total 100%.
 
Back
Top