System fried?

fantomau

2[H]4U
I disconnected my system to replace some fans and connect some on a top panel.

I have a zalman fan controller and it had been working perfectly fine with all the fans.

All fans were working except 1 top fan, So I turned off the system, Unplugged it and connected it to the mobo.

I turned on the system, And there was some kind of sound, I cant recall off hand how it sounded, But I smelt something burning or burnt, So I quickly unplugged the system from the wall.

I took off the fan from mobo, tried to boot, And system would flash for 1/2 second and nothing.

So I then took out the psu to see if it was ok, I didnt even smell anything burnt from it at all.

I cant believe plugging a fan to the mobo would fry it, If thats what happened.

Opinions please. Fried mobo? I looked for burn traces on the front of the mobo, But didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, Unless its on the backside?

id suggest if you have another psu.. even if its an under powered psu.. something thats just powerful enough to boot the system up.. also you could do the paperclip thing to try turning on the other psu you think is fried.. see if it turns on.. either of these would rule out one or the other..

I dont think its the psu thats fried. Unfortunately, I dont have another psu to test.

try doing the paperclip thing to get the psu to turn on to make sure its really not the psu..

http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick (disregard the last 3 pictures.. you dont need the electrical take as long as you arent leaving it on something made of metal)

this one has a better picture of exactly which wires to use..
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-power-supply-psu.html

then if you have a fan that runs off the standard 4 pin molex connection it should turn on.. if it does just flip the switch on the back of the psu and it'll turn off..

it would rule out the psu as being the problem.. then you pretty much know its the motherboard..
its quite possible the fan shorted out and killed the board which is maybe why it never worked with the fan controller.. or it was drawing to many volts/amps..

It sounds like you didnt connect on of the fans correctly and the motherboard shorted out. I had the same problem with a 120mm fan, luckily for my I didnt do any permanent damage to the board.

What fan did you plug in? It could have tried to pull too much power from the board.

It sounds like one of the fans was miss wired or the ground somehow got pulled, causing the short. I would check the fans for faulty wiring...

Upon looking at the fan that I plugged to the mobo, I noticed the screw from the top panel had tore the wire in half, Almost sheared it. I believe thats what caused this.

I thought I had moved the fan wires out of the way, But I guess I didnt.

I'm pretty sure your fan controller was saving your motherboard in regards to running that fan. Most likely the fan had some sort of problem where its wiring or motor was not in working condition which shorted your motherboard. There really isn't a way to fix this unless you know how to build motherboards and want to figure out the problem and resolder the fried piece. I recommend asking asus if it's still in warranty to swap it, if that's not possible start looking for a new one.

Well it was the mobo. I sent it in for RMA and got it back yesterday and alls well now. Thanx all.

Back