• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

System freezes up when playing games

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Messages
11,465
So I finally decided to try out some games and 30 min into both BF2 and FC. My system locks up. WTF.

I have ran dual Prime95 on my CPU for 39 hours, Memtest for about 12 hours, no errors.
I had my 7800 GT OCed too, could run 3dMark05 fine.

I've put everything back to stock and I'm still getting lockups. ONLY when gaming. Rest of the time, the system is smooth as butter.
I'm thinking it's a bad video card...how can I test it further?

Specs:
PCP&C 510W PCI-E
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
AMD X2 4400+
2 x 1GB Crucial Value
BFG 7800 GT
Raptor
BC4452 RAID5 4 x WD3200JD
 
OK, something is definitely wrong here.
I tried playing GTA: SA and it was OK, but I thought the lighting looked kinda weird.
Anyway, my bro comes in and he's like "wtf is wrong with your color?" I was like I dunno.
So I go look at the game on his computer and it looks like 10x better than mine. I have weird colors, horrible light effects and crappy draw distance.
My brother's 6600GT is spanking my 7800 GT.

I tried DriverCleaner and it had no effect. I guess I could try a fresh install, and if that doesn't work, I'm RMAing the card.
This sucks :(
 
I'm guessing your card came from BFG overclocked, what about if you underclock it 20mhz for both core and mem, do the problems go away? Make sure vid drivers are 77.77 and mobo drivers are all upto date. GL
 
DragonNOA1 said:
I'm guessing your card came from BFG overclocked, what about if you underclock it 20mhz for both core and mem, do the problems go away? Make sure vid drivers are 77.77 and mobo drivers are all upto date. GL
yeah, I'm using 6.66 MB drivers and 77.77 video card

haven't tried underclocking yet
 
actually, this may sound stupid. But have you played with the image quality settings in the game. Like the draw distance meter, you can set it high or low, and the image quality goes from low or very low to high and very high. I would try those and see if it's just some in game settings. Or maybe it's something more serious than that, but it's worth a shot
 
I'd do a series of RMAing, I actually think it could be your memory, lockups like that are usually due to bad memory.

I'd check these components in order:

Memory
Motherboard
Video Card

Run memtest on memory to rule that out

Run sisoft torcher test to determine if motherboard is fault / power lines are faulty

Run 3dMark continousely for 24hours ( if possible ).

If you pass memtest for 8hrs, and pass sisoft burn-in test for 8 hours, then it's your video card.
 
Makave7i Tha Don said:
actually, this may sound stupid. But have you played with the image quality settings in the game. Like the draw distance meter, you can set it high or low, and the image quality goes from low or very low to high and very high. I would try those and see if it's just some in game settings. Or maybe it's something more serious than that, but it's worth a shot
Makave7i Tha Don said:
did you try my suggestion?
yes, I maxed them out
still looks the same and my brother has average settings that look way better
 
whoami said:
I'd do a series of RMAing, I actually think it could be your memory, lockups like that are usually due to bad memory.

I'd check these components in order:

Memory
Motherboard
Video Card

Run memtest on memory to rule that out

Run sisoft torcher test to determine if motherboard is fault / power lines are faulty

Run 3dMark continousely for 24hours ( if possible ).

If you pass memtest for 8hrs, and pass sisoft burn-in test for 8 hours, then it's your video card.
I already Memtest for about 12 hours
I also ran dual Prime 95 for 39 hours while OCed to 2.6GHz
 
damn, just got a lockup in GTA:SA
I played Far Cry for an hour with no lockups
oh well, Dell is sending me a new card, I'll see how things go
 
EnderW said:
damn, just got a lockup in GTA:SA
I played Far Cry for an hour with no lockups
oh well, Dell is sending me a new card, I'll see how things go
If it turns out it t'ain't your card, try using a different drive as your boot drive. I had this problem ages back where the sectors on my boot drive that were bad were also (coincidentally...) the ones where the page file was written to, meaning that whenever the page-file in windows reached a certain point as it is wont to do in gaming, my computer would hard-lock and id have a black screen. Problem fixed as soon as I changed out hard drive.
 
banGerprawN said:
If it turns out it t'ain't your card, try using a different drive as your boot drive. I had this problem ages back where the sectors on my boot drive that were bad were also (coincidentally...) the ones where the page file was written to, meaning that whenever the page-file in windows reached a certain point as it is wont to do in gaming, my computer would hard-lock and id have a black screen. Problem fixed as soon as I changed out hard drive.
interesting, thanks
 
Back
Top