• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

System Freeze (What is causing it)

  • Thread starter Deleted member 209935
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 209935

Guest
I have the rig listed in my sig (EVGA SLI motherboard, PCI X-fi, i7 930 proc). 2 weeks ago my sata controller failed on the motherboard, making it impossible to boot. I RMA'd the board to EVGA and picked up a new GTX 470 from the egg while I was waiting. I got the board back, transferred everything over, installed my new GFX card, and booted her up to STOCK settings ****STOOOOOOOCK SETTINGS NO O/C******

Everything was working fine, but I'd get these hard freezes in windows 7 after playing a game or just sitting at the desktop for a few minutes. They were random, some not happening at all, and some happening after about 5 minutes. Now I thought it was the ram, did a memtest and it threw no errors, but would freeze as well (the + next to memtest would blink, but would not let me exit and the time would be frozen). I went and picked up some other ram (corsair 1.65v 1600 6GB) and the same thing happened....freeze in memtest and windows, and even in safemode.

I call EVGA and they tell me it's either the board, the GFX card, or the IMC on the cpu. They say to try and RMA it with intel, and see if that fixes it after I reseat the CPU (which I did, no success).

Strange thing is, I'm in safe mode right now, and I am running prime95 stressing the proc and ram for about an hour now, and I have not had a single freeze.

What should I do? RMA the CPU, the Motherboard, and the GFX card? I'm getting tired of sending all these parts off trying to figure out what the issue is. I could try and use one of my 8800gtxs to see if I still freeze in game, but I don't think it would be the card since I still freeze in memtest (and have the blinking cursor animation).....

Does anyone have any input?

UPDATE: I take that back, it froze running prime95 last night after a few hours or so.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know this sounds completely like something crappy tech support would say, but have you tried doing a clean reformat of Windows 7? I would try to tick ANY software issues off my list before continuing. Failing that, I would just start swapping parts out one by one. I would start with the CPU, and then move into the graphics card, then the memory. At some point you might want to check out your PSU as well, I've had some pretty bad "lemon" systems because of faulty power supplies.
 
I know this sounds completely like something crappy tech support would say, but have you tried doing a clean reformat of Windows 7? I would try to tick ANY software issues off my list before continuing. Failing that, I would just start swapping parts out one by one. I would start with the CPU, and then move into the graphics card, then the memory. At some point you might want to check out your PSU as well, I've had some pretty bad "lemon" systems because of faulty power supplies.

No problem I appreciate your help.

This only started happening once I installed the mobo and GFX card. I don't honestly think a reinstall of windows would fix anything because using hirens disc (boot from CD) it still freezes in memtest/gold memory etc.

I'm in the talk with intel right now, and they are about to send me an RMA for my CPU.
 
I wouldn't trust the X-Fi. Creative's drivers are known to be full of fail. Try removing that card and run the onboard as a test.
 
I wouldn't trust the X-Fi. Creative's drivers are known to be full of fail. Try removing that card and run the onboard as a test.

Done that as well, removed it from the board, and ran memtest...still froze. So that rules out the X-fi as well.
 
I have the rig listed in my sig (EVGA SLI motherboard, PCI X-fi, i7 930 proc). 2 weeks ago my sata controller failed on the motherboard, making it impossible to boot. I RMA'd the board to EVGA and picked up a new GTX 470 from the egg while I was waiting. I got the board back, transferred everything over, installed my new GFX card, and booted her up to STOCK settings ****STOOOOOOOCK SETTINGS NO O/C******

Everything was working fine, but I'd get these hard freezes in windows 7 after playing a game or just sitting at the desktop for a few minutes. They were random, some not happening at all, and some happening after about 5 minutes. Now I thought it was the ram, did a memtest and it threw no errors, but would freeze as well (the + next to memtest would blink, but would not let me exit and the time would be frozen). I went and picked up some other ram (corsair 1.65v 1600 6GB) and the same thing happened....freeze in memtest and windows, and even in safemode.

I call EVGA and they tell me it's either the board, the GFX card, or the IMC on the cpu. They say to try and RMA it with intel, and see if that fixes it after I reseat the CPU (which I did, no success).

Strange thing is, I'm in safe mode right now, and I am running prime95 stressing the proc and ram for about an hour now, and I have not had a single freeze.

What should I do? RMA the CPU, the Motherboard, and the GFX card? I'm getting tired of sending all these parts off trying to figure out what the issue is. I could try and use one of my 8800gtxs to see if I still freeze in game, but I don't think it would be the card since I still freeze in memtest (and have the blinking cursor animation).....

Does anyone have any input?

UPDATE: I take that back, it froze running prime95 last night after a few hours or so.


LOL....oh man...I know its enough to drive one to drink. Turn off Virus Software, download the new or latest Vid Card Driver. Boot to Safe Mode, install the new Vid driver. Restart and go to Windows and watch your system run like a charm.
 
LOL....oh man...I know its enough to drive one to drink. Turn off Virus Software, download the new or latest Vid Card Driver. Boot to Safe Mode, install the new Vid driver. Restart and go to Windows and watch your system run like a charm.

I've done that too, I still freeze in safe mode. I really am leaning away from the GFX card since I could probably still freeze in BIOS if I gave it enough time. I can try booting miniXP off a CD and see if it freezes, but I bet it will since Memtest/Gold memory freezes when it's loaded off a boot CD outside of windows.

Thanks for all the suggestions though!
 
Well my RMA from intel wil be here today, we'll see if this resolves the problem.
 
If your freezing in safe mode you have a MOBO or CPU issue/RAM issue. Try reseating your CPU, I know its a pain but often that fixes things like that. Same thing for RAM.

You shouldn't be locking in Safe Mode man. If none of those work its your board.
 
If your freezing in safe mode you have a MOBO or CPU issue/RAM issue. Try reseating your CPU, I know its a pain but often that fixes things like that. Same thing for RAM.

You shouldn't be locking in Safe Mode man. If none of those work its your board.
I agree, I'm going to put a tried and tested x850 into my rig to rule out the video card.

I did get the rma cpu, and it still freezes....this is extremely frustrating, but I will test the ram again one by one while talking to evga to send a new mobo
 
Well x850 still froze, so I replaced the motherboard and no freezing thus far. Can't believe that was it....
 
Back
Top