System File help

I am trying to repair a friend's labtop, it is running vista 32 and thats all i can really say about the specs cause she doesnt even really know. The problems is when i log in there is an error with explorer.exe and the desktop wont load. The mouse is useable but there is only a black screen im able to launch task manager and use new task to navigate around the computer. Is it time for a OS format or is there a way to salvage this without a lot of trouble.

yes i can get into safe mode, but explorer.exe still has to be terminated and instead of a black screen i get a black screen with safe mode in each corner.

Definitely sounds like your explorer shell got hijacked from a virus. At this point you may want to do a system repair to get the shell back, then go into safe mode and do a complete virus and malware scan.

I'd connect the drive to my machine and scan it with Malwarebytes & MSE, see what they pick up. If the issue persisted I'd just reformat it and be done with it.

how do i do a system repair? and for that matter how do i get to it cause i have to navigate through the explorer so its harder to get through things i have no shortcuts no start menu.

Start up your computer with Vista's DVD in the drive and when prompted to hit any key to boot off the DVD, do so. At some point before setting up the drive you will see a link where you can access Vista repair tools such as memory and drive diagnosis and system restore.

Back