System Crashes (HD ticks)

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
Sometimes during use the hard drive will make a loud click followed the sound the hard drive slowing down. It then starts spinning again followed by the system freezing and then everything going black.

Abit NF7-S 2.0
WD1600JB

I just need some hints in identifying if this is a issue with my motherboard (I've been having issues with the CMOS needing resets after this happening) and or the Western Digital.

Antec Tru 480 - I recently added two more hard drives so I was thinking it had to do with the power supply... But after disconnecting the other two hard drives the problem persists...

Actually, now that I think about it I only disconnected the ribbon cable and not the molex... :p I'll try disconnecting them as soon as I can (which won't be for several hours)

I'm not sure what the problem is here yet, but I'd back up all your important data right now!

This deffinitley sounds like a case of dying hard drive syndrome. I would backup, and then run HDTach or something to put it under some stress to see if it bombs.

Definitely your hard drive going bad. The click of death. Don't even bother testing other things - once that hard drive starts making clicking sounds, put a fork in it, it's done.

Buckus said:
Definitely your hard drive going bad. The click of death. Don't even bother testing other things - once that hard drive starts making clicking sounds, put a fork in it, it's done.
not really. my last system got the same clicking noise, only to find that the power connector is a bit loose

Same here. I remember having this exact problem when I was using those Y-Adapter Molexes. I will be testing today.

I had an old 20 gig IBM hard drive that did that click of death thing for about a week before dieing...

Then the first hard drive I ever had in my own computer was a 249MB disk and it makes clicks and rattles and when it turns on and powers up it sounds like a Jet Turbine powering up! Of course thats its normal noise it makes. That old hard drive still works great if I plug it into my computer.

Back