System Clock Problem

Cleric_PGHL

Limp Gawd
Alright this has been going on for a few weeks now. I'll go to work in the morning (like 7:30AM) and when I get back around 4 my system clock is off by like 15 minutes. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

See hardware specs below, but I am using (a legit version of) Windows XP Pro w/SP1.

do you turn the computer off when not in use? Check the motherboard battery, they are inexpensive.

i leave the computer on from about 7AM until 11PM daily. Where would I buy a mobo battery, and how would it die so soon? I just got this motherboard in November 2003.

Usuall a dying battery is indicated by a "checksum" error on you post screen, which i dont think you are getting. Motherboards sit in warehouses for periods of time, so it is possible a motherboard comes with a dead battery. Which brings me to another point. Have you updated the bios for the new motherboard?

You can get a new battery at wal-mart or radio shack. They are quite obvious on the motherboard, the size and shape of a quarter.

Just for reference, motherboard batteries are commonly circular discs, about the size of a coin. Code is often: CR2032

Also, the motherboard had just recently been released. It's a DFI LAN Party nForce2 Ultra (see sig), I'm not getting a bad checksum or anything when I post. But wouldn't a dead battery make the system clock go slower, mine is like 15 - 20 minutes fast.

As for updating the motherboard bios, I'd rather not unless it was my only option, I killed my ASUS board because of a bad flash. I am reformating as soon as my 2600+ Barton and extra 512 megs of RAM come in. Could it be caused by an application? And why would updating the BIOS make a difference with the system clock?

My computer is always plagued with weird problems. :mad:

Is this a problem I should worry about (if this mobo fails I am screwed cause I have 3 coding classes in the fall :D ) or is this "one of those things". If this is a hardware issue then I'd like to send the boad back ASAP so hopefully I'll get it before I go back to school. Last semester for about 2 weeks I was using a P2 350 w/128 megs of RAM running SuSE cause the 2500+ Barton I had in my main computer was defective. I borrowed the 2200+ off someone and have yet to give it back :D

What power supply are you using? Sometimes weird problems and computer "quirks" can be because of a power supply that isnt delivering reliable voltages.

I'm using a 480 watt Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480watt Xaser Edition. I got it earlier in the summer, seems to be fine. Is there any way of checking?

*scratches head* hmmm yeah havent come across one thats running FAST... I dont think you will have any major problems unless you are on a domain. The system clock being incorrect will keep you from authenticating properly with a DC. Also I think windows update using the microsoft active x control will not work. Exchange servers and such that require authentication will also not be accessible.

Perhaps a system clock synchronizer will work, I think there are some free ones out there (points in the general direction of the "web")

I think this is a hardware problem, as i dont see much at all about the clock running fast at microsoft knowlege base. DFI didnt offer much in the way of a search. I definitely would update the bios though. I understand the trepidation but I'll bet that Lanparty has that nifty automatic bios update, just be sure to save your old bios. The system clock is part of the motherboard that is why a bios flash may help.

Ok, I messed around with it some more, I rebooted my system and the clock was fine. It's been running fine all day as well. I e-mailed DFI about this, but have yet to get anything back. As for the BIOS flashing, I think I am going to have my co-worker do it. He's an experenced Sysadmin and knows this stuff alot better than I do.

Do your BIOS and Windows clocks display the same time? I believe that the clocks are synced on the incoming 60Hz AC cycle. Is it possible that you have really messy power or are on a UPS that is affecting the incoming power signal?

im having the exact problems, system clock is going faster and faster. When i open up the date and time properties window, I can actually see that the second timer is going faster one second and slowing down the next second. I can't exactly remember if this started happening before sp2 or after sp2, but this is getting really annoying. I'm also running on a dfi lanparty btw, dunno if that has anything to do with it though.

Back