System Build Problem... Haaaalp!

Man, I'm stumped on this one.

My bits, pieces, and parts arrived from Newegg yesterday, so I plopped down last night to put it together. System as it currently stands:

Motherboard: MSI K8T Master2 FAR
CPU: 2x Opteron 246
RAM: 1GB Mushkin ECC Reg. PC3200
SATA 1: WD Raptor 74GB
SATA 2: Hitachi 160GB
IDE 1 Master: Lite-On DVD-Rom
Video: ATI Radeon 7000 Sapphire OEM
Case: Kingwin ALU KT-424-S
PS: FORTRON 550W

I installed Windows XP Pro without a problem, but once Windows was fully installed, the DVD-Rom stopped working. I can see the drive light on, but it just spins forever, regardless of what CD or CDR is in the drive. I can tell from the drive sounds and the inconsistent blinking rate that it's chewing on something. I eventually get a "Stream error" message in Windows.

I've swapped out the drive to an Asus 52x CD-ROM, with same results.

I've chucked the round IDE cables that came with the mobo for a traditional 80-pin IDE cable.

I've tried both Master and Cable-Select jumper settings on the drives.

What gives???

-Dan

I'm going [censored] nuts!

This is a clean install of Windows, so there are no previous app installs, documents, etc. that the system is trying to access.

The CDROM shows up in the boot sequence and I can boot from CDROM. It's only when it gets to Windows that it goes AWOL. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device. The weird thing is that Windows recognizes the drive and displays the disc icon and name in "My Computer". It's only when I attempt to actually access the contents of the CD-ROM that things go wrong.

I've downloaded and installed the latest VIA "4-in-1 drivers" from viaarena.com.

3 different drives, 2 different sets of cables, both IDE channels, both master and cable-select.... nada!

WTF!??????

-Dan

Update:

I can access the drive via DOS and copy material to the hard drive.... just not in Windows proper.

???

-Dan

in Device manager ... is the the CD-ROM or whatever listed there?

Back