Sysprep c00000a error

BuisyBizz

Limp Gawd
After implementing SP2 on some Dell Latitude D610's and D620's, sysprep no longer works. I got the sysprep that came with the SP2 deployment tools and the exact same setup works on the D600's. I get the following errors in the logfile then it says windows must shut down:

Error:
Net Setup. The [Identification] section does not contain valid info for joining a domain or workgroup. Because this is full unattended mode, setup will proceed and leave the machine in the default workgroup.

Fatal Error:
Windows is unable to start because the registry cannot be updated. to address this problem, please contact your computer manufacturer. Windows must now shut down.

Warning:
Setup was unable to change the password for the user account Administrator because of the following error: SamChangePasswordUser returned status c00000a

Anyone seen this problem or even have a clue how to fix it?

Not sure if this is directly related to your problem, but there appears to be a patch for the SP2 sysprep needed or it futzors up the default user profile.

I'm not familiar with the patch. I'm using the sysprep that came with the SP2 deployment tools. Is that what you're talking about?

So I found out that deleting the contents of the folder WINNT\System32\Microsoft\Protect\S-1-5-18\ allows sysprep to work. I found an old KB article that says minisetup will fail if sysprep cant decrypt the keys in this folder. As far as I know, windows encryption is not in use. Can anyone see any downside to deleting these files?

Actually, I think I read somewhere that you have to use the version of Sysprep that matches the original installation version.

Back