Syslog with Apple Time Capsule

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
Good morning,

I have an apple time capsule and I would like to start logging it's activities. I see an option for entering an IP listed as "Syslog Destination Address" I am guessing I point that at the computer I want to save and store the information.

Given that system is 10.0.1.3 what do I do on that side. I am using win 7 ultimate so I am hoping I have all the tools I need built into the OS. If not is here a free option easily available.

Thanks

Good morning,

I have an apple time capsule and I would like to start logging it's activities. I see an option for entering an IP listed as "Syslog Destination Address" I am guessing I point that at the computer I want to save and store the information.

Given that system is 10.0.1.3 what do I do on that side. I am using win 7 ultimate so I am hoping I have all the tools I need built into the OS. If not is here a free option easily available.

Thanks

what do you mean by LOGGING it's activities ? you mean the traffic to it and out of it ?

Within the apple utility I can see about 24 hours of items like the following. I would like it saved to disk as I am thinking the 'syslog' option is used to do.

Mar 10 09:33:44 5 Rotated CCMP group key.
Mar 10 09:51:07 5 Clock synchronized to network time server time.apple.com (adjusted +0 seconds).
Mar 10 10:33:44 5 Rotated CCMP group key.
Mar 10 10:51:08 5 Clock synchronized to network time server time.apple.com (adjusted -1 seconds).
Mar 10 11:18:48 5 Connection accepted from [fe80::6167:c335:c86:c7e2%bridge0]:58822.
Mar 10 11:19:05 5 Connection accepted from [fe80::6167:c335:c86:c7e2%bridge0]:58823.
Mar 10 11:19:24 5 Connection accepted from [fe80::6167:c335:c86:c7e2%bridge0]:58828.

You need something called a syslog daemon. I have heard good things about kiwi syslog, but haven't tried it.

I would suggest setting up a separate server for this, since you'd want to have it on all the time. While you're at it, you could turn snmp on and monitor your traffic with that.

How does one turn snmp on? Is this part of windows? Once on how to I watch it?

Your best bet is Kiwi Syslog, it is quite awesome, just grab the free version from solarwinds for basic functionality.

SNMP would be turned on, on the device itself (you could turn it on in windows as well, and it is an additional feature you need to install). You would then need an SNMP monitor, of which I don't have any recommendations.

If you are just looking for a syslog I have yet to find a better one then Kiwi.

Looks like I finally got it working.

I truly appreciate the help.

I have a 15 year old in the house who is glued to an ipod with wifi on. By checking the date/time it bonds to the time capsule I know what time he gets home and if he is sneaking out at night -- which my sister is refusing to believe.

Just logged on/off with my phone. it's working fine.

I may set it up on the tablet I have upstairs being a print server now that I have it working. I saw it could be installed as a service rather then an application. Does that just mean I would need to use the wen interface and could check from my machine downstairs?

Installing it as a service just makes it so the program will start without having to log into windows, it also allows it to run under a different account and a few other things. If your print server is on all the time, I would make sure it has a static IP and then point the syslog traffic to it. From there you can either RDP or VNC into the tablet to check the logs from whatever machine you would like to. Heck you could even share out the log folder, and just grab the text file every once and awhile.

Very nice way of monitoring when the 15 year old comes and goes btw, reminds me why I normally leave the wifi off on my phone.

I have the Kiwi syslog going, it doesnt seem to be saving anything.... and I dont see an option to set up a file name. Can someone point me to that please?

Can it be flagged to email me activity for a specific mac address?

Back