Synology Snapshot Replication

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I'm looking at picking up a Synology RackStation that supports expansion enclosures. I want to add an enclosure and replicate snapshots over to it for a bit of redundancy. In the event that the NAS fails (not the expansion unit), what would the process be like of recovering the snapshots from the expansion enclosure? I know that Synology copies the config over to each disk. Does that just mean I would plug in the new NAS, attached the expansion unit, power it up, and it would be reconfigured with a blank volume to recover to?

*Edit* Edited this a few times for clarification/simplicity.

Last edited:
I'm looking at picking up a Synology RackStation that supports expansion enclosures. I want to add an enclosure and replicate snapshots over to it for a bit of redundancy. In the event that the NAS fails (not the expansion unit), what would the process be like of recovering the snapshots from the expansion enclosure? I know that Synology copies the config over to each disk. Does that just mean I would plug in the new NAS, attached the expansion unit, power it up, and it would be reconfigured with a blank volume to recover to?

*Edit* Edited this a few times for clarification/simplicity.

you would just replace the failed disks and recreate the array (i presume RAID6/SHR2) and re create the volume (assuming the raid6/5 or SHR2/1 array compelaty failed) and restore from one of the snapshots (so yes blank array)

as long as at least 1 disk is functioning configuration settings should not be lost

for an actual backup, you be better off getting a second synology unit (as they have built in synology apps that make this easy to do) so its not part of the main rackstation (on the main rackstation use a hot spare with the raid6 to lower risk of multi disk failures talking the array out)

disks over 1-2TB (or non nas/enterprise HDDs like consumer or shucked hdds > raid 6) you shouldn't be using anything less than RAID6 or SHR2

Back