Synology NAS 3rd party plugin question - SVN

Russ

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so I'm trying to set up an SVN server on my NAS (DS212j) under Synology's diskstation software.

I installed the SVN package from the package manager, seemed to install just fine.

I run the package, it tells me to create a repository, which I do.

And then.... nothing. I have no idea how to add my existing data to the repository or do any sort of repo management beyond renaming it, wherever it is. The options server side seem incredibly limited, and all the FAQs I can find on this process are years-old command line instructions, from before Synology added this package to the manager and a GUI to "use" it.

I'm used to Tortoise SVN and even just Windows Explorer for repo browsing, but I can't find the SVN folder anywhere. Not in the DiskStation software's file manager, not when I browse my network folders on Windows, and not in Tortoise either.

I have no fucking idea where to go next with this, any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience with SVN on Synology NAS devices? I've asked on the Synology forums but they are dead as a doornail and I got no replies in a month.

Has anyone set up SVN on their NAS? I know Synology are fairly popular, so I was hoping to find some others here that have tried this as well.

I just had to figure this out myself...

1. On the Synology NAS, Go to "Control Panel -> Shared Folder"... you should now be able to see the svn folder, but it's marked as 'Hidden in "My Network Places"'.
2. Select it, then click on "Edit". Uncheck the option that's making it hidden.
3. You still can't see it with the File Station, so... with it still selected (in the "Control Panel -> Shared Folder" app), select "Privileges" and set up the privileges how you want them (read only, read/write, etc).
4. Check "File Station" again - you can see it now (as well as a shared folder in windows, etc.) - bingo.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back