Syndicate remake is an FPS

It may turn out to be a good FPS. But I don't want yet another FPS, I want a new syndicate game. There are plenty of cookie cutter FPS games out there. Bored of them now.

I wish Starbreeze was making The Darkness II. Digital Extremes is making it look completely terrible, as usual.

Why are there no more point and click adventures, or myst clones? What the hell happened!? :p
You mean adventure games like the seasons of Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, The CSI games, Gray Matter, Gemeni Rue and Jonathan Blow's upcoming 'The Witness'. Yeah, those are totally not made any more. :-o

Shame they are all polygonised rather than using proper drawings and artwork like they used to. Point and click adventure games just don't feel right in 3D to me.

Shame they are all polygonised rather than using proper drawings and artwork like they used to. Point and click adventure games just don't feel right in 3D to me.

Samorost

Samorost 2

Machinarium

For Myst clones there are the Rhem games...there's 3 or 4 of them I believe. Never played them myself but I've spotted them in the past. The don't seem as visually fascinating as the Myst series always was to me though.

An adventure game being made into a FPS (well without the shooting part) or a third person game isn't really that terrible of a concept. Myst was essentially that. This depends on the game though, since in many adventure games your character is an important character, so you need to see its animations.

Personally I'm not to sure about the criticism of this and the one for X-Com. Wasn't the appeal of those that they were tactical and required tactics? It seems like they just making these as tactical fps games. The end result could be utterly terrible, but the theory itself doesn't seem so bad.

Everything is moving towards real time and the first and third person perspectives. This is what people want and the technology today makes it trivial. Keep in mind a lot of games in the past were turn based, or used different perspectives not necessarily by choice, but also due to tech limitations.

There are 2D art based ones, but these seem to be more confined to Indie games.

If you want, check games by Pendulo Studios, it is 3D, but the art style they use makes it seem more drawn.

You mean adventure games like the seasons of Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, The CSI games, Gray Matter, Gemeni Rue and Jonathan Blow's upcoming 'The Witness'. Yeah, those are totally not made any more. :-o

It is a more niche genre now. Sims and Adventure used to be considered big titles (Myst had mainstream attention for instance, considering its time).

There are so many ways old RTS games with overhead perspective can be modernized and made more contemporary.. Switching to FPS is just "easy" and quite frankly, a cop out.

The devs/publishers dont need to innovate, it's less of a financial risk and it appeals to the masses. It may be a good reason for the publishers, but it's not a good enough reason for gamers that actually want fresh, innovative direction on their favorite old IPs.

If they want to make a futuristic dystopia based shooter, they should just do it. Call it whatever the fuck they want. Gamers buy new titles all the time. If they want to make another Syndicate game, then make another Syndicate game. Try to blend both will just result in something likely to make nobody happy.

Indeed. They could market it as blade runner, and be happy. Syndicate was a squad based tactical strategy game. People who liked syndicate, and want more of the same will be disappointed, and FPS players will be pissed it's not a pure FPS.

The one exception to this rule was the new FO games. FO3 and FO:NV were both very different from the progenitors, but i still enjoyed them. Would have enjoyed them more if they were more like the originals (isometric, turn based), rather than a FPS/RPG hybrid, but the new games are fun on their own merit.

It's a total shame. The original was amazing, probably the first game I really got into. I remember when the 10mb install was taking up a huge portion of our harddrive and my dad got mad.

I don't see why everyone feels the need to rape good old games. Fallout now this?

It's a total shame. The original was amazing, probably the first game I really got into. I remember when the 10mb install was taking up a huge portion of our harddrive and my dad got mad.

I don't see why everyone feels the need to rape good old games. Fallout now this?

X-Com has fallen victim to FPS syndrome also. It is incredibly frustrating as a long time gamer to see the direction the gaming industry is headed.

They claim that TBS and RTS are no longer contemporary and that FPS is the best way to modernize old IPs. It's total BS. Any genre can be made more contemporary and modern, it's just they do not have the creativity and lack the vision to make it happen. That and it is commercially "safe" to go with FPS. They can be sure legions of CoD dudebro fanboys will lap up whatever turd they churn out.

As said by so many others here, using the X-Com, Syndicate etc IPs when the new titles have next to nothing in common is beyond aggravating.

FPS titles were well established when Syndicate & X-Com were released, if they were meant to be FPS titles, they would have made them so.

Fans of these series know, love and respect the games for the fundamental gameplay aspects that made them unique along with the incredible atmosphere.

The pubs & devs are totally wasting a golden oppourunity to re-create these games as the original fans want to see them, just to satisfy a generation of gamers that were wearing diapers when the originals were released.

Sellout fuckwits...

/end nerdrage

Nice article RE: X-Com @ IGN

What a joke!! This was literally the first game I played when I got my first 386 computer. I thought it was awesome!

We need another company like bullfrog, who are prepared to innovate and do something different and interesting. I used to love all bullfrogs old games like populous, powermonger, magic carpet, dungeon keeper and syndicate. Way better games than all this shovelware COD crap!

I love Syndicate (and American Revolt), Syndicate Wars and freaking loved dungeon keeper!
Sadly games like these are gone....hell Id love to have a remake of Shadowrun from the Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo...but no I get the shit that they released a bit ago...

I have to say...Debut trailer has me excited. Looks really good. And I loved the first one

FML, the trailer looks like it will be nothing like Syndicate or Syndicate Wars....

I'll agree, it looks like an interesting game (though I coulda done without the over-edited music video presentation), but they really shouldn't call this one "Syndicate"....

99% of all console gamers wouldn't know about Syndicate in the first place, so why even attach it to this Deus Ex clone?

Back