Syncing multiple files to an external HDD among multiple computers.

TheNuker

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for some software recommendations on how to sync two, maybe three computers using an external HDD. I have the following scenario:

Kbkt9St.jpg

A cloud based solution seems like the right choice, but it's prohibitive since I will be transferring large amounts of data among these devices (whole virtual machines and disk images), so I need something that uses the external HDD for holding the data.

All machines run Windows 8.1 Pro, so it doesn't have to be a cross-platform compatible application. Also, it doesn't need to run automatically when I plug the external HDD (preferably not, in fact).

Any ideas?

External HD - where does it fit in?
I assume it has to be plugged into a system and is not a NAS/SAN device?

I've used Cobian Backup in a similar manner at a client's office.
  • 3 PC's running 7 - graphics PC, workstation PC, UPS/Quickbooks PC.
  • Cobian running on workstation PC, runs backup every Friday night. User plugs in 2.5" HDD when leaving Friday, unplugs it Monday morning.
  • Workstation PC pulls it's own files to HD, and pulls 2 folders from graphics PC via SMB as well as UPS/QB PC via SMB. Cobian handles everything.
  • Backup is set as an Incremental backup, puts 3 main folders on HD (graphics, workstation, QB/UPS), within those folders are the subfolder backup sets of the individual folders backed up from each PC.

Cobian is technically no longer developed (developer sold the source code some time ago) but the app is still excellent and available. It handles pretty much everything I've thrown at it. Some things require tweaking or OOTB thinking, but it's possible.

If you have a NAS/SAN, you can install Cobian on each client and have it backup the folders that way. NAS backup requires tweaking; you have to install Cobian's service (or alter afterwards) with a user account that has logon creds for any networked machines you want to back up. By default it installs with the SYSTEM account and therefore cannot do any networked back up (pulling files from, or backing up files to).

Back