Symantec Suing Companies For Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Symantec has filed lawsuits against eight companies for a total of $55 million for allegedly pirating the company’s software.

Symantec alleges counterfeit versions of its Norton SystemWorks, Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, pcAnywhere and Symantec AntiVirus Small Business Edition were sold. Most of the sales were conducted online, with the purchasers receiving the CDs in single, blank white sleeves, with no documentation information, directions, labeled packaging or activation code information, according to Symantec. The companies being sued are: Acortech, mPlus, Logical Plus, SoftwareOutlets.com, Rowcal Distribution, Global Impact, Directron.com and eDirect Software.

Interesting.

Wonder what will happen if it turns out that the companies in question bought the licenses for all of the copies they sold, but sent a burned copy of the program itself. Not like that is very likely since I think that Symantec would look into this possibility prior to wasting lawyer money, but it's possible.

Who would pirate Norton :confused:

Symantec should be laughing at all the poor suckers who bought it. Not only do they not get updates or support, they get raped by viruses and poor software.

I'm really surprised that Directron is on that list...I always thought they were a reputable company

I'm really surprised that Directron is on that list...I always thought they were a reputable company

I'm not surprised... I used to be a loyal Directron customer but when they started doing some shady stuff with used/reburbished items I knew it was time to give up on them. I ordered a dozen "refurbished" Dell speakers that hadn't been refurbished. They were in the original Dell packaging with Dell customers' names and addresses on the boxes along with their RMA number. A few were missing their power cord, a few didn't work, a few had additional stuff like notes to Dell, random cables that were included by accident, and one even had a media center edition remote control. Refurbished means you inspect it, clean it up, and repack it. You just don't sell it without even opening up the return.

I left a negative comment on resellerratings.com but Directron didn't seem to care.

Yeah, seeing Directron on the list surprised me also. I haven't bought from them for about year, (ZZF & Newegg rock!) I was actually looking at some stuff on Directron the other day. Perhaps I should look elsewhere?

Back