• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Symantec CEO Sees More Acquisitions Ahead

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
With all the mergers and acquisitions happening in the tech sector, why wouldn’t Symantec’s CEO be constantly eyeing future acquisitions?

While dismissing as "speculation" recent press reports that Symantec is close to buying San Francisco data-loss prevention software company Vontu, CEO John Thompson said Symantec is interested in expanding in that technology area.
 
I think they need to work on fixing up their current products first before they look at adding more.
 
Symantec has a history of buying it's competition, then shelving, or placing into "maintenance mode", the products. This goes back to the early days of the Mac.
 
I think they need to work on fixing up their current products first before they look at adding more.

It's primarily thier home products that suck. Their corporate version of Symantec Antivirus is reasonable on the system resources, and doesn't tend to be obtrusive. Can't say that about Norton AV/Internet Security/360/et al though. Wretched applications they are.
 
It's primarily thier home products that suck. Their corporate version of Symantec Antivirus is reasonable on the system resources, and doesn't tend to be obtrusive. Can't say that about Norton AV/Internet Security/360/et al though. Wretched applications they are.

Eh, we have Symantec Corporate at our office and I am not impressed at all really. Supposedly version 11 is coming out and its supposed to be better, but I would still rather use AVG Corporate.
 
11 is out, has been since the end of Sep. That is what we are using. However they said that it could take up to 60 days for all previous customers to get their updated serial number to download the files from fileconnect. They renamed it Symantec Endpoint Protection 11. It now has built in firewall, intrusion detection, application and device control (so you can say what programs and devices can run on your network).

I hate the management console compared to that of the previous versions. The software seems to have issues on some machines with wanting to make them run a little sluggish even though the cpu and memory usage is fine. The firewall was blocking a program that a few people use on the network even though I told it that program is to have permission to do whatever it wants on the network and opened up any and all ports that it would try to use. A

The only good thing about it is that when it does run it seems to be a little better than previous versions at finding spyware.
 
forgot to mention, i don't know about others that run the corperate version but I still have to run other software to remove viruses and malware that symantec ignores or go about removing them manually.
 
It's primarily thier home products that suck. Their corporate version of Symantec Antivirus is reasonable on the system resources, and doesn't tend to be obtrusive.

I've never understood this. I can see using different licensing/update code for corp and home versions, but that shouldn't affect any of the performance/stability complaints. The only way I could see a difference on that front would be if the core search and monitoring functionality between the two was totally different. I"m totally unable to fathom a reason behind doing so. Even if both were equally good it;s still doubling development costs. If one is excelent and the second garbage it becomes even more inexplicable.
 
I've never understood this. I can see using different licensing/update code for corp and home versions, but that shouldn't affect any of the performance/stability complaints. The only way I could see a difference on that front would be if the core search and monitoring functionality between the two was totally different. I"m totally unable to fathom a reason behind doing so. Even if both were equally good it;s still doubling development costs. If one is excelent and the second garbage it becomes even more inexplicable.

That is how they do it though. Norton products are coded seperately than the Symantec ones. With some features making their way from one to the other every now and then. The intrusion prevention part of Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 is actually a feature that has been in Norton products for awhile now. They just now decided to carry it over to the other line. I too could never understand why you would waste the time coding up two completely different product with completely different scan methods instead of just making 1 program with various licensing methods. Have it work as a stand alone for home use, or have a management console you can use for a corperate envrionment. Considering that the corperate version does not require the server portion there is no reason why they couldn't sell it without the server as a home version. Or even remove a feature or two and sell a slightly watered down version as the home version. But nope instead they have two different teams each working on their own code base and own methods. I couldn't believe it when a rep at a Symantec Conference said that.I had to stop myself from asking other than giving them a reason to charge more, what is the point of doing that.
 
Back
Top