Symantec Acquires PC Tools

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
PC Tools, the developers of Spyware Doctor and Registry Mechanic, has been acquired by Symantec. Financials were not disclosed and the deal should be closed by year end.

PC Tools will maintain separate operations within Symantec’s consumer business unit. PC Tools will continue to offer their products under the PC Tools brand and serve its customers through its existing partners and channels, according to Symantec.

Symantec Acquires PC Tools, screws over another good peice of software, adds yet another running process to Norton Internet Security 2009, and we all wait for Skynet.

j/k about the Skynet :p

Ironically, this would be the SECOND time Symantec has acquired PC Tools, since they bought out their closest competitor Central Point Software and it's PC Tools software line back in 1994.

The more things change, the more they continually get gobbled up until everything is owned by one massive corporate entity which rules the world with an iron fist, I always say.

Symantec Acquires PC Tools, screws over another good peice of software, adds yet another running process to Norton Internet Security 2009, and we all wait for Skynet.

Damn, someone beat me to ragging Symantec for fucking over another company. CURSES!!! :)

lol. If Symantec did create Skynet we wouldn't have to worry too much.

Yea one of the funny things about this is that symantecs av hated spyware doctor. It always tripped its tamper protection. When we ran them on the same network we always had to turn off the tamper protection or it would cause issues. Sucks as I liked their product. Knowing how much damage symantec has done in the past I have to wonder how long it will be before spyware doctor sucks.

lol. If Symantec did create Skynet we wouldn't have to worry too much.

Yea I mean the system would crash because of adware long before it could set off the nukes. This is if it had the memory to run the launch program because symantecs products were using all of it.

These guys have been buying out the makers of excellent software and fucking it up for years:

The old PC Tools
Quaterdeck (remember cleansweep)

Now the makers of, arguably, the best anti-spyware application out there.

I am seariously pissed off!

Isnt it time some government dept. stepped in and kicked the crap out of whichever asshole is at the top of the pile of malouderous shit that is Symantec? (EU?)

Either that or get some nut to cap him and his hangers on i.s.o. picking on a school for a change!

If anyone knows of a petition or some way we can slow these megalomaniac pricks down, please let us know.

:mad:

Symantec buying a company is like a TV Network moving a show to Friday night. It's the swan song...

I see Symantec's practice of buying & shelving the competition is alive and well these days.

I give them a year.

What's sad about this is SAV is SO POOR in dealing with Spyware :(

Symantec is trying to monopolize all PC software, the government should intervene and do us all a favor by just shutting down the company... seriously I am tired of them taking every good piece of software out there and totally making it suck.

Now we need either EA to Symantec or the other way around. Crap buys crap.

Ironically, this would be the SECOND time Symantec has acquired PC Tools, since they bought out their closest competitor Central Point Software and it's PC Tools software line back in 1994.

The more things change, the more they continually get gobbled up until everything is owned by one massive corporate entity which rules the world with an iron fist, I always say.

I was going to post the same thing (minus the dates).

About the only good news in this article is that PC-Tools will continue to make/market their own software. The worst thing about Symantec is they buy good S/W utility houses, and let the products die.

Case and point, PCTools. It had a good file shell (kinda like an explorer....sort of), a good backup program and a nice Defrag program (which I always liked better than Symantec's offerings). Symantec bought them and it all disapeared.

Remember Quarterdeck's cleansweep? They used it in Norton Utils for a few years (probably unchanged) and then, AFAIK, it disapeared.

Partition Magic? It's still there, but it's never been updated. Since it's not compatible with Vista, it'll disappear too.

Symantec: The place where great utilities go to die.

Norton Utilities used to be a must have program. Peter sold out, dumped his wife and now lives happily ever after.;)

No doubt still laughing his ass off all they way to the bank:)

I just hope they don't mess with the guys that make Tuneup Utilities. Its a pretty damn good program.

Back