Swype

Does anyone know if they have any plans to release this as a standalone product? I have a few friends who are looking at getting a smartphone and if those choose one that doesn't have swype built in, they would like the option to buy it for their phone. I personally have had it on every phone I have bought since I got my first smart phone. I love it. On a side note, has anyone noticed the huge amount people using the spelling swype instead of swipe since the release of the software? On this forum alone I have encountered it 3 or 4 times including a front page news post. I wouldn't mind paying for this app if it weren't included with my phones, definitely seems like one of the most innovative/useful programs for text entry in a long time.

Most new phones coming out includes Swype. I'm pretty sure it'll be available soon, but I don't think the iOS will allow such things. I remember before Swype was on phones, they had a beta release where you could download the beta and install it on your phone.

I love Swype. I can type with just one finger and I'm pretty sure it's a lot faster than typing on an iPhone.

Swype was in open beta for any Android phone a while back, I'm surprised they haven't re-opened the beta or released it. There are several knock-offs in the marketplace, though, some of which are really pretty good in their own right.

I got tired of waiting for them to release it for all phones so I got ultra keyboard off the market. Has a swyping option built in. Works pretty good. I'm using it on this post.

Wow! Pretty impressive. Is it for tablets only or will it be available on smartphones?
Google just bought it so early speculation is that you won't see it on anything but Android devices for a while.

Been using the swype beta since may. I've liked it for basic texting and such but it's a pain to use for longer things. I much prefer the physical keyboard on my Droid, even if it's not the greatest. I don't think I would buy a phone without a physical keyboard. Though perhaps blindtype would work well.

Been using the swype beta since may. I've liked it for basic texting and such but it's a pain to use for longer things.
Have you tried messing with the settings? I moved the slider on the settings page almost all they way toward accuracy and Swype's usability has improved tenfold. I just typed a page long report on it with no problems.

Blind Type is pretty impressive. You can walk and type without bumping or walking into anything. it's similar to swype. When you swype and you miss the letter by a few and continue to the next. it predicts the word for you. I've been doing that but it's not as great.

I'm more than sure that swype has an agreement with manufacturers. That would explain why they are passing up tons of money from people like us who are waiting to buy it from the market if it its released. This is as popular as angry birds.

I'm still unconvinced with this whole swype thing. For one, i think it's not good in the long run compared to standard keypads. Fingers will still tire after using this. However, I'm still waiting for newer innovations such as the Blind Type you have mentioned. Maybe this will work better than swype. *crosses fingers*

I'm still unconvinced with this whole swype thing. For one, i think it's not good in the long run compared to standard keypads. Fingers will still tire after using this. However, I'm still waiting for newer innovations such as the Blind Type you have mentioned. Maybe this will work better than swype. *crosses fingers*

I've got a Droid and I had the HTC keyboard before, and Swype is far better than the HTC keyboard (generally considered the top Android keyboard) and the hardware keyboard, and I have no problems with fatigue. Granted, I'm not writing essays on the thing, but it's definitely easier to thumb type 1 handed with Swype than to tile the phone sideways for the wider keyboard and use both hands.

I tried something like this for the iphone over the summer and while it was neat, I prefer the old fashioned method better. I kept finding myself going back to tapping each button instead of sliding accross them.

Old habits and all that...

Swype is fun to play with on my Droid 2, but with a physical keyboard it just doesn't compare. Really is an awesome texting innovation though, I try to stump it by being sloppy and most of the time it still gets it right.

I've got a Droid and I had the HTC keyboard before, and Swype is far better than the HTC keyboard (generally considered the top Android keyboard) and the hardware keyboard, and I have no problems with fatigue.
I wrote a one page report yesterday on my Vibrant using Swype. If anything Swype is far less fatiguing then individually pecking out each individual number.

The official spelling is Swype, those who spell it Swipe are ignorant.

I have the beta version of Swype on my Incredible (Android). Its no longer available but I found a torrent for it (hint....). I think it will eventually become available because of growing popularity but not in the short term. As others have said, it is coming native on some new phones but not all. If you want I recommend just finding a torrent. Android 2.2 allows non Market apps to be installed so it wasn't s problem for me.

In my opinion I hate it...I hate the interface and it doesn't guess words right. I use ShapeWriter, which was very popular on Android until the author took it down due to lack of funding or time to maintain it or something like that. However, I found it too in a torrent (hint). I recommend trying ShapeWriter just to see of you like it. Hell I can be drunk texting and it still gets the word right.

Have you tried messing with the settings? I moved the slider on the settings page almost all they way toward accuracy and Swype's usability has improved tenfold. I just typed a page long report on it with no problems.

I'm definitely gonna try that. Come to think of it, my main issue with swype was the (lack of) accuracy. This would be great if it works because I like the one-handed operation that I can do with swype.

I'm definitely gonna try that. Come to think of it, my main issue with swype was the (lack of) accuracy. This would be great if it works because I like the one-handed operation that I can do with swype.
The lack of accuracy was killing me too. Tweaking it made an immediate difference, so did deleting words from the dictionary on a regular basis.

Back