• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SWTX 19" rack case and cooling

nolem

n00b
Joined
Jan 1, 2015
Messages
2
Hi,

A while ago I got some used G34 AMD CPUs and got myself a H8QGL-iF-O motherboard: http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6000/SR56x0/H8QGL-iF.cfm

The purpose of the machine is to do distributed computing and I will likely put some GPUs on it as well.

I have a 19" rack which I could put it in but it seems that the Supermicro cases that supports SWTX is either small (2U) or very expensive. I could go for a regular case as well if that would be cheeper but 19" case which isn't 3x as expensive as the mb would be nice :)

Also I'm thinking of adding liquid cooling to it to keep the noise level down a bit.I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on both the case and/or the cooling options you have went with.

Cheers!
 
You are not trained in the ways of a dremel and duct tape :D

This was worse. The redundant power supplies plug into a backplane which has all the plugs (24-pin, 8-pin, etc). Part of this backplane was too big for newer motherboards (4P 2011) but worked with other motherboards. I think I ended up using this case with the 4P Opteron SWTX, but I had originally tried the 4P Intel and it wouldn't fit. There's no way to dremel the power supply backplane and maintain a working system. :p
 
The HAF932 case seems to be a classic.

I found this usefull : http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/701036-Project-Quadteron

Edit : I just had a little trouble with a longer PSU (an AX1200) interfering with an internal USB port that I had to trim a bit.

I also found that the 8 small noctuas + the small northbridge fan are rather noisy. I guess something without a northbridge fan and with less and bigger CPU fans might be quieter. Maybe something, like this : http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1676632
 
Last edited:
Back
Top