Switching to Mac... question.

Neoaether

Weaksauce
So, I'm making the leap (again) and re-switching to Mac. I had a G4 Power Mac back in '03 and wasn't pleased so I switched back but now I'm looking to switch to a MBP and I'm psyched. My question is, I hear there is a MBP update coming soon-ish. I know it is an opinion call, but I'm torn between waiting for the new ones to come out (I want a 13") and get my Education discount, or buying a refurb one now for a good rate. Any suggestions?

Depends on how long you're willing to wait.

If you can hold out until the media event on the 27th, do so. There's always a chance that MBP upgrades will be announced. If nothing's announced then, you'll need to ask yourself if you're willing to wait until WWDC in June, which is a very likely timeframe for MBP upgrades to be released.

Hold off a week and see what happens.

I would absolutely wait until the 27th in case they update it then. 6 days is worth it.

If it doesn't get updated then, it will probably be updated this summer (as it hasn't been updated since last summer).

One last thing to think about is there is normally a summer deal where you get a free ipod with the educational discount. Even if you don't want an ipod, you could easily sell it for $150, which lowers the price point. I got mine with educational discount+free ipod+free printer, which was a hell of a deal.

If it doesn't get updated on the 27th, waiting until summer might not be a terrible idea. But if you really want it now, pull the trigger on the 28th and don't worry about it, because the machine in its current form is amazing and worth the full price (imo).

I just picked up a current model 13.3" MBP with the 2.53GHz Core2. I thought about waiting, but the refurb discount was enough to convince me to buy now.

Back