Switching To Diamond 4850 CF

RipperMac

Limp Gawd
As the title says...really close to pulling the trigger on a Diamond 4850 CF setup to replace my 8800GT...Would be interested in the Pros or Cons of such a setup..pretty sure psu can handle the added requirements or I will upgrade..my main concern is heat and noise..any advice/experience on both would be appreciated..thanks...
Rip

The 4850's are quiet. The 4850's are a bit hot, but not any hotter than your 8800GT. The fan runs at like 14%, but if you want, you can turn it up higher, and the card will still be quiet.

Enjoy your new cards! :)

i did the same thing- went from evga 8800GT to 2x diamond 4850's in CF on an abit ip-35 pro.

if i had the chance again though, I would've gotten a new motherboard first. it's faster but not as fast as I was expecting and I think the 16x/4x pci-e slots are to blame, though i'm not entirely sure. I can leave 8x or 12x AA on most of the time at 1680x1050 and get playable framerates compared to my 8800GT but that's really about it.

and your psu should be fine as I'm running them off of a 520 watt corsair with no problems

mine stayed about 70c idle and got upto the 90s gaming. they would overheat occasionally if I didn't change the fan speed in the CCC profile. I put on some arctic cooling twin turbos and they stay around 30-40c idle and 50-60c load overclocked to 700/1050.

noisewise, I couldn't hear them unless I put the fanspeed above 55% on the stock cooler.
with the ACTT on em though, I leave the speed at 100% and it sounds roughly the same

damn...didn't think about the different pci bus speeds...I don't want to upgrade the mb yet not with socket changes coming soon...any links on the difference in performance due to pci bus differences?
Just found out I can use my Accelero on these puppies in CF so that will be an option if I don't like the noise from the fans :)

Thanks for the links..seems it would not really be worth me switching to CF with my current mb limiting what I expected...really loved this IP35Pro...but it might have to go to satisfy my need...my need for speed :rolleyes:

Back