Switching to AT&T... should I wait? (Next iPhone ideas)

zamardii

2[H]4U
I am going to be switching to AT&T soon (I don't want to get into a carrier discussion). But before I do, I wanted to find out from people here what are some predictions for the next iphone update? I honestly would like to see a bigger screen because I have a Evo now and I love the 4.3" screen and going back to 3.5" would suck. I also hope they do a overhaul on the IOS interface too because it's getting kind of old.

I am going to be waiting until around the beginning of July anyway which would be a good time because according to the Mac Buyer's Guide, the iPhone is reaching it's end of cycle in around June. So I was just wanting some input from people here on what they're expecting from the next iPhone refresh cycle or if anyone has heard any rumors. Bigger memory? Bigger screen?

Also, how is that Data Pro package? I have unlimited Date on my Sprint phone now, but I keep wondering whether 2GB would be enough. Anyone have problems with running over their usage? I know Verizon also has the iPhone but Unlimited Data which sounds better, but I am just wondering whether anyone has problems with running over their 2GB of usage.

Last edited:
So far the rumors I've heard are bigger screen, faster cpu/gpu, removal of the home button (possible going the way of how android phones have touch buttons instead of physical ones)

Thing about the iPhone screen currently tho is it has the best resolution (640x960 IP4 vs 480x800) out of all current phones out atm. So even if you have a 4+ inch screen the iPhone 4 still has better quality in the end imho. I do have to admit the Super AMOLED screens out on some of the phones look great.

I do agree that they need to refresh the entire iOS gui. I have had all my iPhones jailbroken and always use mods to change the way it looks cause it gets dull and boring after awhile. I love the iPhone but if they dont do anything about the way the OS looks or even having a major change this refresh I even might go Android cause there are some really nice phones coming out this year and its gonna be very tempting.

So far the rumors I've heard are bigger screen, faster cpu/gpu, removal of the home button (possible going the way of how android phones have touch buttons instead of physical ones)

Thing about the iPhone screen currently tho is it has the best resolution (640x960 IP4 vs 480x800) out of all current phones out atm. So even if you have a 4+ inch screen the iPhone 4 still has better quality in the end imho. I do have to admit the Super AMOLED screens out on some of the phones look great.

I do agree that they need to refresh the entire iOS gui. I have had all my iPhones jailbroken and always use mods to change the way it looks cause it gets dull and boring after awhile. I love the iPhone but if they dont do anything about the way the OS looks or even having a major change this refresh I even might go Android cause there are some really nice phones coming out this year and its gonna be very tempting.

What's wrong with the ios gui?

I would definitely wait until the summer. Anything about what the next one will have is hearsay so far. We can only hope someone "leaves" another prototype in a bar for someone to study. As for the data plan, 2 GB is truely ample given that so many wifi hot spots exist. You will not touch 2 GB unless u watch many hours of streaming video via 3G everyday. For example, I have had my 3GS for 14 months and have used 3.1 GB of cellular network data total and I use it a good deal.

@Krycek1 I've had all the iPhones minus the original and over the last 3 years or so its kinda dated imho. Thankfully people can jailbreak if they know how to and change stuff but that can only go so far. Apple needs to give in to the customizations that jailbreakers have been doing for years and allow customers to change stuff. I have nothing against the functionally of the GUI its just the look i'm getting bored with.

Apple needs to give in to the customizations that jailbreakers have been doing for years and allow customers to change stuff.

No, they don’t.

I have nothing against the functionally of the GUI its just the look i'm getting bored with.

I agree with this to a certain extent. For example, the “stock” UI elements (most obviously in Mail) are fairly dated, and I wouldn’t mind seeing that cleaned up and rethought. The two UI-related things Apple really does need to clean up are notifications and the swipe to unlock screen, which really should function as a gigantic notation by telling you how many phone calls you’ve missed from whom, the subject lines of the latest 4 or 5 unread emails, things like that.

Anyway, back to the topic. iPhone 5 rumors.

Very likely:
  • Near Field Communication
  • Faster/dual core CPU (“Apple A5” or a speedbumped Apple A4)
  • Faster/dual core GPU (PowerVR SGX543)
  • Higher battery capacity
Probable:
  • More storage space
  • New radio chips
Possible:
  • Larger display
  • Touch gesture replacing home button
Unlikely:
  • LTE
  • OLED display
  • Slide-out keyboard

The most interesting thing about the iPhone 5’s announcement will be if it marks the birth of a product family. Right now, you can get the iPhone 4 for $199/$299, and the iPhone 3GS for $99. (Or $49 at AT&T, since they’re desperate.) But if they released two models of iPhone 5, a 4 inch flagship model and a 3.5 inch model more analogous to the current iPhone 4… well, that would be pretty big in and of itself.

Though I have to be honest, I’ve resolved to stick to my two year iPhone 4 contract and see what happens with the iPhone 6, so I’m much more curious about iOS 5. Come on, Apple, rip off WebOS’ notification system… you know you want to…

Don't know why, but I have a bad feeling that Apple won't increase the storage capacity beyond 32 GB, instead focusing on the new features and improvements.

My 3GS is completely full and I need more space.

I would wait for July. Nothing is ever certain with Apple launches but 4 July refreshes in a row is certainly a telling pattern. Especially since they haven't raised prices in years so I wouldn't expect the new stuff to cost any more than what you'd pay now.

My 3GS is completely full and I need more space.

You can get a 64GB one. Or barring that there's apps that will stream your whole library to your phone over wifi/cellular.

64 GB? I think you mean an iPod touch, right? I like the iPhone as it's my all-in-one device; internet browser, e-mail, iPod, GPS and, of course, phone. I'd hate to have to carry a touch, too!

I like being able to take my music library with me everywhere, as I only have about 28 GB or so; with (a pared down list of) apps and iOS, my 3GS is strained for space at the moment.

I would wait for July. Nothing is ever certain with Apple launches but 4 July refreshes in a row is certainly a telling pattern. Especially since they haven't raised prices in years so I wouldn't expect the new stuff to cost any more than what you'd pay now.

You can get a 64GB one. Or barring that there's apps that will stream your whole library to your phone over wifi/cellular.

I doubt they'll add more memory because the newest talk is to make MobileMe free and push Apple users to cloud services.

There will never be more hard buttons added to an iPhone because that goes against Job's entire push to move away from buttons. He explained during the iPhone launch that soft buttons make more sense because it gives devs more flexibility to change buttons as functions change over time.

I like being able to take my music library with me everywhere, as I only have about 28 GB or so; with (a pared down list of) apps and iOS, my 3GS is strained for space at the moment.

Did you enable the 128kbps AAC transcoding option? Saves a hell of a lot of space.

I considered it, but I buy all my music off the Amazon MP3 store, and don't really want to re-compress already compressed music

Did you enable the 128kbps AAC transcoding option? Saves a hell of a lot of space.

Right now is NOT a good time to by Apple Products. There are a good number of changes/upgrades on the way. Now the iPhone 4 is a good phone, but if you have to have bleeding edge then wait.

I'm in similar boat, switching from T-Mobile. I'm going to get a refurbished iphone 4 soon. They're only $99, good as new, and come with warranty. Though when the 5 comes out, the price for the 4 will drop even further. Personally I think the 4 is a damn good phone, and I can't imagine the 5 coming out with features that will make me want to spend an extra $100... except maybe battery life.

I considered it, but I buy all my music off the Amazon MP3 store, and don't really want to re-compress already compressed music

Unless you’re toting around some very good headphones, you’re likely not going to hear a difference.

The alternative is to bite the bullet and make a judgment call on which albums you want to listen to at any given time.

Back