Switching to another printer but keeping print result same?

Merithiel

n00b
I do a bit of photo/giclee printing and for the last 5 years I've been using Epson 2200P printers. They've served me well, but lately they're becoming rarer and rarer because they're not being produced anymore.

Hence, I'd like to upgrade to another printer (the R2400 or possibly the Pro 3800/4800), but I'd like it to be able to print the same image that the 2200P did with as little of a difference as possible in the end result.

Can this be done, and how so?

Thanks.

Calibrate the monitor. Use the proper ICC profiles. I use an R1900 with Epson paper and the results are identical to the screen image every time

Any tutorials or otherwise instructions on obtaining/using the PROPER profiles? I've heard of ICC profiles, but ne'er had the time to look into them before and I can't seem understand them yet.

Apparently I've always been working in the same colour space/profile I originally got the image from, be that a film scanner or the RAW converter from camera. Likewise, apparently I've been printing from it, while turning off the printer's colour management stuff off. Hence, playing around with colours is a guessing game of sorts.

Epson provides good profiles for their papers, just search their site for whatever you use. I prefer using Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper for almost everything. Just be sure you are using an Epson printer, with real Epson ink, and Epson paper, and choosing the right combination of profiles to match that.

I don't even bother with calibrating my monitor because I am often on different computers with different printers, but using the same ink and paper. I just go by the numbers and histogram in photoshop, and then set my profiles right, and I almost always get what I want on the first try.

There is a $500 rebate on the 4880 right now, and it uses 110mL in cartridges. The extra ink included with it will likely make up the price difference over the 3800. You can buy 220mL replacement cartridges and save even more per mL.

Back