Switching Software/distro

TC10284

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Question:
Does anyone know of any switching software that you can install on an older PC filled with NICs (theoretically six or seven PCI NICs) that will allow you to do high-end switching functions (IGMP, layer 3 switching, etc).
I know of BrazilFW, IPCop, m0n0wall, and other routing distros. Just wondering if there was a switching distro as well.

Thanks!

I do not know about the IGMP portion but you could simply bridge all the interfaces together for the basic switch functionality.

So basically what you are asking for is to create a poor mans switch? Why not look on ebay or craigslist for a cheap switch and save yourself a nice powerbill while you are at it?

I said: "that will allow you to do high-end switching functions".

If I wanted to do basic switching, I'd use one of my 24 port switches or buy a cheap 24 or 48 port switch.

Also, I'm not looking to do anything specific yet. Just tinker with it and learn.

I said: "that will allow you to do high-end switching functions".

If I wanted to do basic switching, I'd use one of my 24 port switches or buy a cheap 24 or 48 port switch.

You can do high end switching functions with a "high end" switch too :p

If you are really interested in learning, install quagga and waste some time :p

Back in the day i used to use a program called zebra. Essentially emulated IOS on a PC. More of a router setup than switch, but if i remember correctly it would do layer3 stuff pretty easily.

http://www.zebra.org

Back