Switching over to dynamic IP

Kevin

n00b
I understand that my family is gonna be switching over to a dynamic IP soon and I am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of having dynamic vs. static. What would this affect? From reading articles from ISP providers, I know that dynamic IP won't affect basic things like surfing the web, e-mail, and downloading/uploading, but is there anything else that would affect "advanced" or "internet gurus"? Also, would it affect online gaming? Let's say if I were to be playing, would my IP suddenly change out of no where and kick me off...or if I had a different IP, would the game servers not recognize me, or does that depend on the game? Ehh, well just spit some info out, anything helps.

Kevin said:
I understand that my family is gonna be switching over to a dynamic IP soon and I am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of having dynamic vs. static. What would this affect? From reading articles from ISP providers, I know that dynamic IP won't affect basic things like surfing the web, e-mail, and downloading/uploading, but is there anything else that would affect "advanced" or "internet gurus"? Also, would it affect online gaming? Let's say if I were to be playing, would my IP suddenly change out of no where and kick me off...or if I had a different IP, would the game servers not recognize me, or does that depend on the game? Ehh, well just spit some info out, anything helps.

You probably won't notice any difference at all, unless you host your own website or such off your home connection. Then you'll either need to pay for a static IP or use a dynamic DNS service to have a 'static' address/

As to the IP changing, chances are that you won't even see that either. Without going into too much detail, when your computer is setup for DHCP, it leases an IP from a central pool of addresses at your ISP. So long as you use your connection on a regular basis, you'll probably just keep renewing the lease for the IP.

With my connection (Comcast cable), I've only had my IP change a few times in the last two years... only two that I can remember. Once was when the power went out in my house for three days (last years hurricanes) and once because they actually went through and renumbered all their systems and forced IP changes upon our area.

You are not going to see any difference in gaming, surfing, etc etc. It won't drop out on you in the middle of CS:Source or with that 27-day bittorrent download.....

Its pretty invisible, but as the previous poster noted, if you host a website, email server, HOSTED game server, it might be problematic.

Your ISP is doing that to better manage their block of IPs so they can connect more customers.

There is very little from Dyanmic to Static...
Dynamic is Less Overhead and alot easier...
Static is just set by the Admin/User....
Dynamic will use DHCP
:D

Back