switching from s#@Verse to Comcast

amrogers3

Gawd
I am switching from AT&T shitVerse to Comcast and have questions about using my own modem and router. I was going to use Comcast's modem and buy a Apple Airport Extreme. However, from a previous post Cyclone suggested the following:

Reference: previous thread

Yes, you can use your own modem AND your own router with Comcast.

For the modem, get a Motorola SB 6121 or whatever their newest one is. Motorola also makes a modem/router combo that works well with Comcast.

I am an avid gamer and am trying to get the most of the equipment and connection. Any recommendations on a modem and/or router combination? or the Airport Extreme or Motorola SB161 with a Comcast connection?

id stay away from router & modem combos if you can.

what services are you getting from comcast, just internet?

In the past when I had comcast I always ended up buying the cheapest router I could find on ebay. Worked fine for me.

If you really care about games, get a DOCSIS 3 modem, and build a pfSense router/firewall.

With pfSense, you can set the traffic shaper to ensure you never max the connection and lag the games.

I like pfSense but I want a wireless router. I know I can make it wireless but I really don't want to put that much time and money in it.

Any recommendations for a router to go with the 6120 or 6121 modem? Any cons going with an Airport Extreme?

They are pretty much the same, the 6121 is the newer model. I went with the 6120 simply for the looks.

I too had to buy a modem/router a week ago, going from ATT to Comcast. I went with the Motorola 6121 and Netgear WNDR3700. The Motorola modem actually gave me faster speeds than the rented Comcast one. I went from 20mbps to 35mbps, from 3mb/s download to 4mb/s. So I would advise not cheapening out on the modem, it is THAT important.

Back