switching from PCI card to onboard lan

T

trinketsummoner

I'm not sure if this can be done without talking to my cable provider, but i have a PCI ethernet card they supplied when i had my cable modem installed (my board at the time didnt have onboard) but ive since switched to a MSI Neo2 that has nvidia and realtek on board lan and id like to use one of those instead and lose the PCI card.

Drivers are installed but when i plug in the cable to either of the onboard ones it "connects" but i cant access the net. I was thinking that maybe my ISP will only work on hardware it knows but then again why would they do that? Anyways, im a newbie when it comes to networking, so is there something i need to do or settings to copy over, or should i call tech support?

Thanks!

most isp's used to permit access via the mac (media access control) address of your nic ... but a lot of them have stopped that now.

if yours is still working like this, however, its a call to tech support to register the mac address of your new nic.

drop to a command prompt and use winipcfg if your on win9x or ipconfig if you are nt or above. what your looking for is the 'hardware address' which should be in xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx notation.

hth, rgds.

as a quick check before calling up the isp, make sure windows has all the proper drivers for the onboard nic, and power-cycle the cable modem after attaching it to the onboard nic. power cycling worked for me.

just as a random question why do you want to switch?
What advantages do you see of using the onboard? Even a 10/100 card is quite a bit faster then the cable/DSL/etc will support...

Just want to switch for convienience really, so i dont have another PCI card cluttering up my system :)

Power cycling the cable modem usually does the trick. Like was said above. hook up the cable modem to your on-board NIC then power off the modem (pull the plug) let it sit for a minute then power it back up.

You may have to release/renew the address, by either using ipconfig (winipcfg in win9x) or just reboot the windows box.

Thanks everyone! I got it to work now thanks to everyones advice :D

Back