• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Switching from P4 to Conroe

nighthawk101

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 20, 2004
Messages
137
My old P4 3.4 is obviously showing its age. I need to upgrade to a dual core... elementary question here, but how much of a performance boost will I really see in today's games with a e6420 or a e6600?

Thanks.
 
Look here: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=872&model2=903&chart=422

it has a bunch of scenarios. I selected the chips which should match your clocks.
P4 @ 3.4Ghz vs C2D @ 3Ghz+

its going to be 50-100% faster, assuming you overclock it.

Last year at home, I switched from a Pentium D @ 4Ghz to Core 2 @ 3Ghz and noticed like a 50++% in most things. (everything stayed the same except CPU & mobo) And that going from dual core to dual core.

Then this past Friday at work I upgraded from an old Dell 4550 with a P4 3.06Ghz to a Dell 530s with an e4600 2.4Ghz.(both had ample 2Gb of ram) I haven't run any benchmarks yet, but it was so much smoother in just simple multi-tasking office apps.
 
dont think raw speed, the c2d is simply more efficient at what it does + add a 2nd core.
 
one more elementary question (and by the way, thanks for the responses), is there going to be a big difference in performance in today's games given the same system specs between an e6600 and a e6420 or any other c2d for that fact?

Thanks
 
Back
Top