Switched to nvidia... multi-monitor problems

Flapjack

2[H]4U
So after years and years of AMD loyalty, I got a GTX1070. While I love the card in games, the desktop experience is driving me up the fucking wall. I honestly don't know what else to do, so I 'm asking everyone here.

With all my Radeon cards (up to the 290X), my desktop icons and windows stayed where they belong. It didn't matter if the PC slept, rebooted, games went fullscreen, I switched to EyeFinity (AMD's version of Surround), etc. It all just worked, and I spent ZERO time messing with fixing/resizing icons and windows.

For the icons, I'm using DesktopOK, which is at least only a few clicks away. I can deal with that. For the monitors, it's obnoxious. My center monitor is my main screen, as my desk is a corner desk, and that just makes the most sense. When I lock my screen and come back, everything is pushed to the left-most screen (#2, as "identified" in both the stupendously useless Win10 display settings, as well as the nvidia control panel). Not only do I have to move any number of windows that were dispersed across three screens, but I also have to mess with RDP windows to get them back the way they were. Both at work and at home, I can have 5 to 15 RDP windows open at any time, as I manage many servers... and no... I don't want to use that flaky-ass RD Manager, as it is glitchy as hell and I need to be able to choose which RDP window goes where. The crazy thing about the RDP windows is that the title bar of the RDP session stays on the left-most (#2 screen), but the content of the window goes to the center screen. I have to put the RDP session in windowed mode, then re-maximize it before I can consolidate it back to the left or right monitors.

Again... I had no issues with AMD. All this stuff was tracked and required zero clicks or Windows key/shift/arrow to move around.

I've attached a few screen grabs. I've tried moving cables around on the card as well as rearranging desktops (it was worse when it was set to the order of 1-2-3 in control panel). The monitors are connected via DP cables and set to 3840x2160 @ 60hz and 10bpc.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

System info:
- Intel i7 4790k
- MSI Z97S Krait Edition mobo
- Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
- (3) Samsung 28" 4K LCD monitors (LU28E510DS/ZA)

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 278
Welcome to the bullshit line NVIDIA creates between their gaming and productivity drivers. Proper desktop management and behavior is locked in the full version of the nView module that is only available in their Quadro drivers. The only thing I can suggest is to try a Surround display to see if you can get the behavior you need.

Welcome to the bullshit line NVIDIA creates between their gaming and productivity drivers. Proper desktop management and behavior is locked in the full version of the nView module that is only available in their Quadro drivers. The only thing I can suggest is to try a Surround display to see if you can get the behavior you need.
Really? I was honestly hoping I had installed or configured something wrong. I will try surround, but I seem to remember having problems with that, too.

I run 1080x3@144hz without fail on a single titan. You have to enable surround if you want it to treat the displays like eyefinity does. With surround on, there are the distinct zones, etc.

sucks that surround is limited to 5(?) displays.. I use Resolume Arena on a few computers with 11-17 outputs so this problem is a major annoyance

So... I'm not sure if nvidia surround is different (hopefully it is), but I did not use eyefinity full-time because it treated all three desktops as one huge display. I would only turn it on when I wanted to play a game in eyefinity... as it was a giant pita to use for managing multiple servers/RDP windows.
There was just no way to maximize a window to just one monitor, and RDP in a window sucks because you can't use the Windows key shortcuts. I *believe* in the quick time I played with surround, that I was able to maximize to one monitor... but I'm not sure. I'll have to test when I get home (working late tonight).

Yeah... I won't be having a +5 monitor problem for a looooong time. These three 28" ones are more than enough for me. :)

Surround treats 3 displays as one, but its slightly different than eyefinity. Each monitor is a separate zone and apps will remember where they last closed, window size etc. **Most apps can maximize within the zone its currently in so you won't get apps maxing out across 3 panels, etc. It's pretty cool and works better than eyefinity in that respect.

You can set windows to fit in single display through the Desktop menu in the nVidia Control Panel. Works reasonably well. There's a 3rd party app called DisplayFusion that gives you a lot more options when using Surround. There's a free version, it's $30 for the Pro version I believe.

Surround treats 3 displays as one, but its slightly different than eyefinity. Each monitor is a separate zone and apps will remember where they last closed, window size etc. **Most apps can maximize within the zone its currently in so you won't get apps maxing out across 3 panels, etc. It's pretty cool and works better than eyefinity in that respect.
Cool. Eyefinity sucked in that regard. When playing a game, I would always leave the "Do you want to keep these changes?" window open, and then as soon as I was done playing, I would hit no/cancel, lol.

You can set windows to fit in single display through the Desktop menu in the nVidia Control Panel. Works reasonably well. There's a 3rd party app called DisplayFusion that gives you a lot more options when using Surround. There's a free version, it's $30 for the Pro version I believe.
Hope this works. This would be something that was *better* than the AMD desktop drivers, if so. Eyefinity was 100% useless for normal desktop use. I've also used DisplayFusion... though it was years ago. I can't remember what problem it fixed for me back then, but it was the only tool out there that worked. I wonder if my license is still good....

Hope this works. This would be something that was *better* than the AMD desktop drivers, if so. Eyefinity was 100% useless for normal desktop use. I've also used DisplayFusion... though it was years ago. I can't remember what problem it fixed for me back then, but it was the only tool out there that worked. I wonder if my license is still good....

It works like I said, reasonably well but has some quirks. And if you center the task bar the Start Menu in 10 will still appear on the far left. DisplayFusion seems address most of the quirks. If you maximize a video to full screen in a web browser it still thinks it's one big screen.

It works like I said, reasonably well but has some quirks. And if you center the task bar the Start Menu in 10 will still appear on the far left. DisplayFusion seems address most of the quirks. If you maximize a video to full screen in a web browser it still thinks it's one big screen.
Ahh, that was the issue. The actual start button was on the far left, and the notification area was on the far right monitor. Sounds like I'll definitely need to use DisplayFusion.

The window resize works well in Surround works well in landscape, but has been broken for years when using multi-monitors in portrait, as I used to. If you clicked a window to maximize to the monitor it would size right, but would be 100 pixels off to the left overlapping on the next monitor. I complained to NVIDIA about this for a long time, and they finally fixed it. Then about two driver revs later, it was broken again. I never made a big deal about it since I was in the tiny minority of folks running portrait in the enthusiast community, but I have to think this impacted a lot of business users negatively.

As for the Start button and taskbar issues, I have always run my taskbar vertically since Eyefinity / Surround were introduced. This "fixed" that.

Putting the start menu on the side is a good idea, but I don't know how the hell I'll get used to it. I suppose it's worth a try.

Ok... I'm making some progress. I have surround turned on and DisplayFusion installed. Not sure if it's a limitation of DisplayFusion, but the "show start menu on all screens" setting isn't working in Surround. I'm guessing it's because it's not picking up the lines of delineation that Surround draws (unlike EyeFinitity, which has NO logical separation). So for now, I'm following Kyle's recommendation and putting the start menu vertically on the left-most screen. It will definitely take some getting used to, though.

I am still having some issues that I can't figure out. I'm starting to think Surround is not going to work for me, just because how heavy an RDP user I am.

1) I'm not sure if it's DF causing it, or Surround, but the desktop grid cut off somewhere in the bezel. If I try and line up my icons starting on the first column in the center monitor, a small portion of the icon shows on the left-most monitor.

2) Maximizing any window to the middle screen leaves about 1/8" of desktop showing, which is really annoying. This is on the left, right, and bottom. The top of the maximized window is fortunately flush with the top of the screen. Interestingly enough, Outlook 2016 fills a screen, but only because something appears to be adding a weird, thick gray border to the application. Once put in windowed mode, the border goes away and you see the normal edges of the Outlook window.

3) The run prompt always appears next to the start button, which is now in the upper-left of the left screen. Before enabling Surround, I had the start menu on each screen, and the run prompt "remembered" where it was last. Now, there is only one place it can appear, and it's a pita to keep looking over to the left when I'm working on the middle screen.

4) RDP is now completely useless. Maximized, it centers (and fills the center monitor, but only a portion of the left and right monitor. Not that I want to use it across the entire desktop anyway. This might be a limitation of RDP, I dunno. It also does not recognize the three monitor spaces Surround creates, which means, unlike a regular browser/explorer/app window, it will not maximize to one.

One good thing that worked was the first game I tried... CS:GO at 3840x2160. The side monitors went dark and the game ran great on the middle screen.

Attachments

• 14824509527230.jpg
    14824509527230.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 14824509922020.jpg
    14824509922020.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 14824518387560.jpg
    14824518387560.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 14824518921281.jpg
    14824518921281.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 14824520514150.jpg
    14824520514150.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 160
After a few days of the surround madness, I give up. I'm back to separate displays. Surround was 100x worse. If I left my PC and came back, my windows were resized into the smallest size possible (see attached). Seriously, I'm trying to think what the fuck in the code of drivers could cause that. Someone had to *intentionally* put that shit in.

I love how this card performs in games, but the second a comparable AMD card comes out, I'm getting it, and never looking back. Nvidia sucks balls for desktop management.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    580.7 KB · Views: 161
I don't use surround; just DisplayFusion and Start10 (Start8 before that), on Windows 8/8.1 and 10, with a pair of 970s, three monitors on the main card, and a fourth on the iGPU. One monitor is inverted, and one of the others was previously rotated.

Stuff goes where I want and stays there, no problems except when doing driver upgrades.

I also recommend DisplayFusion, great tool for managing windows on multi-monitor setups (and a whooooole lot more). IMO, definitely worth the 30 bucks.

After a few days of the surround madness, I give up. I'm back to separate displays. Surround was 100x worse. If I left my PC and came back, my windows were resized into the smallest size possible (see attached). Seriously, I'm trying to think what the fuck in the code of drivers could cause that. Someone had to *intentionally* put that shit in.

Must be on your setup because my TXP in surround never changes resolution unless I want it to. I can manually turn off panels, or let it go to sleep, she wakes up just as she was before the sleep.

I don't use surround; just DisplayFusion and Start10 (Start8 before that), on Windows 8/8.1 and 10, with a pair of 970s, three monitors on the main card, and a fourth on the iGPU. One monitor is inverted, and one of the others was previously rotated.

Stuff goes where I want and stays there, no problems except when doing driver upgrades.
I also recommend DisplayFusion, great tool for managing windows on multi-monitor setups (and a whooooole lot more). IMO, definitely worth the 30 bucks.
Yup. I disabled Surround as well. Turns out I had DF, so I just reinstalled it. I probably got it the last time I had an nvidia card, years ago... lol. There are so many freaking settings, it makes my head spin.

If you guys have any particular settings you recommend, please share. I can't even figure out how to disable the "Move to next monitor" button on each window, but I may end up just leaving it.

My biggest pain point right now is when I lock the screen and come back, any existing windows get pushed to the left monitor when I unlock the screen. If I can solve that, I will be happy.

Yup. I disabled Surround as well. Turns out I had DF, so I just reinstalled it. I probably got it the last time I had an nvidia card, years ago... lol. There are so many freaking settings, it makes my head spin.

If you guys have any particular settings you recommend, please share. I can't even figure out how to disable the "Move to next monitor" button on each window, but I may end up just leaving it.

My biggest pain point right now is when I lock the screen and come back, any existing windows get pushed to the left monitor when I unlock the screen. If I can solve that, I will be happy.

What monitor did you set your primary as?

This might be an easy question... instead of trying to find the setting to remove the "Move Window to Next Monitor" button that shows up on each window, I've been actually trying to use it. When there are 50 windows on monitor 1 after I log back in, it's definitely easier than pressing Win+Shift+arrow. I've even taken to leaving some over there, and only moving the ones I'm actually working on. It's not the most desirable solution, but it keeps me from having to re-do the action multiple times a day.

However, I've noticed that with Firefox/Cyberfox, the new tab button is jammed up with the move-to-the-next-montior window. I can carefully click the bottom for a new tab, but more than once I've moved the entire browser to the 3rd screen. It doesn't seem to let me move it either.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 130
This might be an easy question... instead of trying to find the setting to remove the "Move Window to Next Monitor" button that shows up on each window, I've been actually trying to use it. When there are 50 windows on monitor 1 after I log back in, it's definitely easier than pressing Win+Shift+arrow. I've even taken to leaving some over there, and only moving the ones I'm actually working on. It's not the most desirable solution, but it keeps me from having to re-do the action multiple times a day.

However, I've noticed that with Firefox/Cyberfox, the new tab button is jammed up with the move-to-the-next-montior window. I can carefully click the bottom for a new tab, but more than once I've moved the entire browser to the 3rd screen. It doesn't seem to let me move it either.

It's windows + 4k + windows fail = profit? I came across this fix and voila thought of this thread. Ok, windows default resolution is not 4k so if any panel turns off, window resolution will fallback to default, ie. not 4k so when you enable it again default resolution apps look squished. And to repeat its not the card or DP, its windows. This would probably happen to me too but I don't use 4k.

https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/10681-tutorial-how-change-windows-10-default-resolution.html

It's windows + 4k + windows fail = profit? I came across this fix and voila thought of this thread. Ok, windows default resolution is not 4k so if any panel turns off, window resolution will fallback to default, ie. not 4k so when you enable it again default resolution apps look squished. And to repeat its not the card or DP, its windows. This would probably happen to me too but I don't use 4k.

https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/10681-tutorial-how-change-windows-10-default-resolution.html
Very interesting. I must've missed the email, but I did not see your reply until just now. I loaded up the thread again to ask for help with yet another problem since switching. I had no idea there was a "default" resolution, but what's happening now is that one of my monitors (always the middle/primary one) will wake up to 1440p resolution, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way (other than rebooting) to fix it. Both the Windows 10 and Nvidia control panels show 1440 as the max resolution (see attachment). It's maddening.

Even if Vega line is a little slower than then the 10-series, I will be switching as soon as they come out. I simply cannot believe Nvidia does such a poor job with the desktop composition side of their drivers. Hell, I'm thinking of getting the best 480 out now. I can live with slower frame rates in games, but I cannot live with this garbage. I don't have a lot of free time, so fixing all my windows and rebooting to fix the resolution every time my screen goes to sleep is unacceptable.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    26.2 KB · Views: 126
I use multiple displays but only 2, no issues here but also only 1440p one being 21:9 aspect ratio. Did you set up the multiple display inside of Nvidia drivers?

In drivers under Display I recommend if you haven't this:
  • Adjust Desktop size and position
    • Set the resolution for each monitor in your case
  • Set up multiple displays
    • Make sure each display is where you want it and the primary and focus display is what you want
    • Now I would make the center monitor #1 by plugging into the display port #1 and configuring the #2 and #3 monitors outside of #1 which would be in the center
  • Optional
    • Under Change Resolution
      • Make a Customize resolution for your center monitor - by selecting the Customize. . . button and then Create Custom Resolution. . . button, even though it maybe the same as native it should force the driver to always use that customized resolution setting

Never used multimonitor software other then what was available from AMD, Nvidia or Windwos - I would think they would cause more conflicts then they are worth due to the rapid changing of drivers and Windows in general. Hope maybe this helps.

I use multiple displays but only 2, no issues here but also only 1440p one being 21:9 aspect ratio. Did you set up the multiple display inside of Nvidia drivers?
I've done pretty much what you recommended, with the exception of the custom resolution bit, which after implementing the fix thesmokingman suggested, is no longer needed. There is still some wonkiness, but it looks like it is 1000x better than it was. Any RDP windows are on the correct screen, but they are windowed. Easy fix... I just double-click the title bar and they maximize on the same screen. I also noticed that any windows that run out on Explorer (including any settings windows) are huge. They are still in windowed mode, but they take up about 75% of the screen, vs 25% or so, which is roughly what I normally size them at. I wonder if anything in those registry settings could help. You would think their settings would be saved somewhere, but I guess not.

The only other problem is that any color corrections do not always apply when I wake the screen and log back in. This issues affects all the screens. Everything will be very washed out when it wakes up, but normally fixes itself. After entering my credentials, within a second, the custom colors I've chosen in the nvidia control panel just pop back on and everything is correct. But sometimes, it doesn't happen. In that case, the only thing I need to do is open the nvidia control panel, click on "Adjust desktop color settings", and just re-click the "Use nvidia settings" button (which is already checked). Just clicking that button fixes the color, but you have to do it on each screen... click 1st monitor, click the already-selected setting button, repeat, repeat. I close the window and ignore the prompt that asks me to save (it doesn't help). Flaky-ass shit.
Never used multimonitor software other then what was available from AMD, Nvidia or Windwos - I would think they would cause more conflicts then they are worth due to the rapid changing of drivers and Windows in general. Hope maybe this helps.
I ended up uninstalling DisplayFusion. It caused more problems than it fixed, namely, with the Start Menu. Their Start Menu overlay, while helpful, would crash frequently and I'd have no Start Menu at all, which required a reboot. Plus that obnoxious "move window" button didn't offer any more functionality than WIN+SHIFT+ARROW did, and was always in the way (and couldn't be moved).

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 201

Thanks again for that link. It's only been one night, but I woke up this morning to see things *mostly* where they were supposed to be. I do think something I set in those registry keys (I followed the guide exactly) is blowing up my Explorer windows to that 75%-or-more size, but I don't understand what the keys do yet. I may do some googling and find out more.

When it comes to multi monitor, I hope nvidia some day will implement a setting in the game profile that allows you to choose on which monitor (select number aligning with the number in NVCP) the game will run. I'm wondering how hard is it to implement such thing that would be actually so convenient?

You can set a 'Primary Display' which determines where games in general start- are you saying that you want to select this per game?

I have a similar issue with Intel graphics and a 1080p--4K--1080p triple monitor setup. The 4K is an LG 27UD68 connected via DisplayPort. When it goes to sleep, it appears as being disconnected and Windows will shuffle opened apps to the second monitor.

Some people are able to fix this by disabling DDC/CI in the monitor's menu. (no luck for me, the 27UD68 doesn't have such a setting)

From what I've read, Quadro cards and FirePro/Radeon Pro cards don't have this bug.

Yes, per game.
You could setup up something like that with MultiMonitorTool, but it wouldn't be automatic. You would need to start a game from the cmd line or a batch file (I'll post a little guide if you want).

You could setup up something like that with MultiMonitorTool, but it wouldn't be automatic. You would need to start a game from the cmd line or a batch file (I'll post a little guide if you want).
I surely will appreciate!

The tool is here

Assuming you're starting a steam game, make a batch file and stick this in it (if you want monitor 2 as primary).
MultiMonitorTool.exe /SetPrimary \\.\DISPLAY2
steam://rungameid/257850
I keep the exe in my path, so if you have it elsewhere you'll need to add this line to the top
cd /d "D:\Utils\mmt folder"

You could also make a couple batch files/shortcuts on the desktop to set each monitor as primary and remember to run one beforehand (easier then making one for each game).
Also check out the command-line options on that page. You can setup certain configs, then save/load them. You can also move all windows from one to another monitor.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous! You shouldn't have to do any of this in order to run a simple extended desktop across multiple monitors. The last time I was running Windows, Nvidia Surround went from working perfectly, with windows snapping and maximising to their relevant monitors to a buggy nightmare with the taskbar swapping monitors, windows maximising behind the taskbar and icons changing positions - However standard extended desktop worked fine.

Now it looks like there's also issues running extended desktop! In the end I dumped all my monitors on my Windows PC for a single 4k screen and never looked back. I still run multiple monitors on my main Linux PC running the Nvidia binary drivers and everything works perfectly with both displays grouped together as one SLS, window snapping and maximising works perfect, no shifting taskbar and no shifting icons.

The tool is here

Assuming you're starting a steam game, make a batch file and stick this in it (if you want monitor 2 as primary).

I keep the exe in my path, so if you have it elsewhere you'll need to add this line to the top
cd /d "D:\Utils\mmt folder"

You could also make a couple batch files/shortcuts on the desktop to set each monitor as primary and remember to run one beforehand (easier then making one for each game).
Also check out the command-line options on that page. You can setup certain configs, then save/load them. You can also move all windows from one to another monitor.
This is good stuff. I haven't run into lately, but it's happened before. Definitely saving this.

This is ridiculous! You shouldn't have to do any of this in order to run a simple extended desktop across multiple monitors. The last time I was running Windows, Nvidia Surround went from working perfectly, with windows snapping and maximising to their relevant monitors to a buggy nightmare with the taskbar swapping monitors, windows maximising behind the taskbar and icons changing positions - However standard extended desktop worked fine.

Now it looks like there's also issues running extended desktop! In the end I dumped all my monitors on my Windows PC for a single 4k screen and never looked back. I still run multiple monitors on my main Linux PC running the Nvidia binary drivers and everything works perfectly with both displays grouped together as one SLS, window snapping and maximising works perfect, no shifting taskbar and no shifting icons.
I have too much going on at once to have just one monitor. I could never go back to one. In fact, I only have two at my office (with just as many tasks), and it drives me up the wall. I'll just get the first AMD card that competes with the 1070 and ditch this piece of shit. I can't believe it's so damned buggy. The hardware is great... I love the card itself, it's just the shitty Nvidia drivers.

Well it's annoying to setup, but since I've had the problem of windows randomly going where ever when I switch between extended mode and surround/eyefinity:
I have an autohotkey script that contains a list of windows with the position and size saved, so when I switch I just run the script and it moves all the windows where I like them (also useful when you upgrade video drivers and everything gets mashed to one screen).

It's simple enough to setup, just annoying that you have to do it for every program you use regularly.
Stick this in a .ahk file (the programs are just an example, you'll also need to change that 5760 width I use):
#NoEnv
#NoTrayIcon
#SingleInstance Force
#KeyHistory 0
ListLines Off
Process Priority,,A
SetWinDelay -1
SetBatchLines -1

;SetTitleMatchMode
;1: A window's title must start with the specIfied WinTitle to be a match.
;2: A window's title can contain WinTitle anywhere inside it to be a match.
;3: A window's title must exactly match WinTitle to be a match

;The numbers below are: X, Y, Width, Height
;You don't need to include all of them

SysGet Width,16
; Eyefinity/NV Surround
If (Width = 5760)
{

SetTitleMatchMode 2
;Foobar
WinMove foobar2000 v,,3840,440,1005,641

SetTitleMatchMode 3
;Dopus
WinMove ahk_exe dopus.exe ahk_class dopus.lister,,2060,220,1024,768
;Pidgin
WinMove Buddy List ahk_exe pidgin.exe,,5463,0,300,1083
;Steam
WinMove Steam ahk_exe steam.exe,,450,250,1024,730
}
; Not Eyefinity/NV Surround
Else
{

SetTitleMatchMode 2
;Foobar
WinMove foobar2000 v,,1920,440,1005,641

SetTitleMatchMode 3
;Dopus
WinMove ahk_exe dopus.exe ahk_class dopus.lister,,256,220,1024,768
;Pidgin
WinMove Buddy List ahk_exe pidgin.exe,,3543,0,300,1083
;Steam
WinMove Steam ahk_exe steam.exe,,-1400,350,1024,730

}
Autohotkey comes with a window spy to get info about certain windows, depending on how you're going to match the window (usually .exe is fine, but sometimes you need a bit more). Check the install folder for AU3_Spy.exe

Well it's annoying to setup, but since I've had the problem of windows randomly going where ever when I switch between extended mode and surround/eyefinity:
I have an autohotkey script that contains a list of windows with the position and size saved, so when I switch I just run the script and it moves all the windows where I like them (also useful when you upgrade video drivers and everything gets mashed to one screen).

It's simple enough to setup, just annoying that you have to do it for every program you use regularly.
Stick this in a .ahk file (the programs are just an example, you'll also need to change that 5760 width I use):

Autohotkey comes with a window spy to get info about certain windows, depending on how you're going to match the window (usually .exe is fine, but sometimes you need a bit more). Check the install folder for AU3_Spy.exe
Damn. You went all out! I may just try this.

I was really hoping the Vega would be a better card than it is, as I'm 99% sure this foolishness would stop if I switched back. AMD breaks my heart yet again...

Back