Switched from 1080 Xtreme to 1080 FTW2 - games started to crash

Raendor

Gawd
Hey fellas, seeking some advice with the recent issue I've started to experience after switching from one 1080 to another.
I got rid of my 1080 Xtreme gaming around a month ago, which worked flawlessly for me sine launch in June 16, in favor of 1080 FTW2 mostly due to the size as I moved to a smaller case and was planning to put that 1080 in htpc build later on when time for another upgrade comes. However I'm getting random freezes with application has stopped working error from time to time. I'm mostly playing BF1 and Dying light right now and that's where I've first noticed that. I initially thought it might be the driver or Afterburner OSD causing problems, but the fact is that I've had no issues with them on the previous card (and also 1070 SC2 I've been using temporarily) and run FTW2 at stock clocks. I tried DDUing and installing either two lastest or 384.94 driver, but it's still the same. I'm not sure what the issue is and suspected the card only because it was the only component to change, but as I've acquired it barely being 2 months old from an old member here that had no problems with the card - I have little incentive not to believe him. I guess the ultimate thing I can try is to clean install W10, but it's quite fresh install already. Did anybody experience something like that? I'm more inclined to think it's a software issue rather than hardware. Can custom fan cureve in afterburner interfere with iCX? i dunno what to think any more really.

So, I did a clean W10 install, turned off Game mode and Game DVR. Still get the application error (event 1000 in event viewer) and crashing games. What the hell is going on? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Have you considered that the card you got could be busted?

Also, may be worth removing the card and wiping off the contacts and re-seating.

Have you considered that the card you got could be busted?

Also, may be worth removing the card and wiping off the contacts and re-seating.

I don't believe it's busted cause there's no artifacting/freezing, etc. and the guy could simply return the card if there were any issues in a first place. I'm thinking more in terms of software issues.

But if you reinstalled Windows and still have the issue, that would indicate it's not a software issue.

I would still recommend cleaning and reseating the card, I have had that help in the past. Also may be worth updating BIOS and resetting to default if you haven't done that in a while.

Post on evga's forum for advice would be my best advice.. Also I believe you still can get service from evga even though your not the original buyer.

But if you reinstalled Windows and still have the issue, that would indicate it's not a software issue.

I would still recommend cleaning and reseating the card, I have had that help in the past. Also may be worth updating BIOS and resetting to default if you haven't done that in a while.

Yep, I'd uninstall afterburner and keep it at 100% stock settings. Check hwinfo64 or equivalent to make sure there is nothing else out of range.

So far after testing for a few more days - nothing good to report. Tried running at stock clocks with no OSD - crashed the same way. Tried downclocking the card -50 Mhz - crashed the same way. Thought for a moment that it's psu to gpu cable maybe - but the same issue. The only good thing is that I'm crashing very consistently and it happens every day with random occurrence. The last thing I'll try - run in debug mode (which is close to -100 underclock). Will also try to maybe borrow another 1080 from a tech guy living nearby. It's just so weird.

So far after testing for a few more days - nothing good to report. Tried running at stock clocks with no OSD - crashed the same way. Tried downclocking the card -50 Mhz - crashed the same way. Thought for a moment that it's psu to gpu cable maybe - but the same issue. The only good thing is that I'm crashing very consistently and it happens every day with random occurrence. The last thing I'll try - run in debug mode (which is close to -100 underclock). Will also try to maybe borrow another 1080 from a tech guy living nearby. It's just so weird.

Sounds like a goner

I would RMA it ASAP, EVGA is generally very quick to get things sorted out. Good luck.

Getting a 1080 Strix from my friend and colleague to test for a couple days, so this should be the ultimate test before I start RMA. Luckily I'm having a vacation trip in 2 weeks, so this will be the right time to RMA and not be bother by waiting for a replacement card.

Well, that's quite interesting. Just when I was 100% certain it's card (I've got a 1080 Strix from colleague to test and see if that's an issue with the card) I got the same bf1 has stopped working crash. Now I don't even know what to think. It's a really weird crash with "game name".exe has stopped working error. I've never had that problem before, so it's so weird to see it appearing now. Damn, I guess I should try disassembling and reassembling my PC lol?

You never mentioned if you updated your BIOS and/or reset settings to default? Could be a motherboard issue. Also possible you damaged the PCI-e slot, but hopefully not that.

You never mentioned if you updated your BIOS and/or reset settings to default? Could be a motherboard issue. Also possible you damaged the PCI-e slot, but hopefully not that.

I've updated my bios somewhere in July/August, I think. And I didn't play much during those months to properly discover the issue. I can try downgrading to a previous version, which I definitely had no problem with, to see if that helps at all.

Do your crashes only happen in games? Or is it anytime? I know this may sound strange how about your power supply? I had one power supply go bad and it only happen when playing games. But then I had another go bad anytime wanted to and took me a while to figure that out.

Well I'll be damned guys. I've reverted to previous BIOS version and it opened up a can of worms for me. For some reason now I can't post with both RAM sticks set to their stock xmp settings (2 x 8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200 Mhz 16-16-16-36). I'm getting CPU_led -> Dram_led cycling on motherboard with the black screen at boot. And I've been literally running this kit with its rated settings for a year. The interesting thing is this:
1) when I set my CPU OC settings (4.5 Ghz @1.328 adaptive mode) with both RAM sticks at stock - I successfully post;
2) when I set my CPU OC settings AND dram settings using a single stick (each) - I successfully post;
3) as soon as I insert a second stick and try to boot - I get the cpu->dram led cycle and can't post
4) when I run CPU setting stock and try dram settings with both sticks - I get the same led cycle and can't post

What the hell is that? I need to test now slots individually with dram settings, I guess, to see if it's some failing slot/controller on the motherboard (I'm not sure if there's one on mb?).

It is all so weird, because I've been booting my PC all that time without an issue, despite having this occasional crash. And now with the same settings I used - I can't even post.

Hmm. How old is this psu??

Bought in October 2015. It's Corsair RM750i from my sig.

Do your crashes only happen in games? Or is it anytime? I know this may sound strange how about your power supply? I had one power supply go bad and it only happen when playing games. But then I had another go bad anytime wanted to and took me a while to figure that out.

Only in games and I can have very continuous session before that happens. But now I have this weird issue with not being able to post with both ram sticks when set to their rated settings, while I had no problem with boot all this time before.

This definitely went beyond issue with the graphics card now, so I feel sorry for blaming it and hopefully it's really working properly.

But I'm quite shocked now that I'm not able to make my system work with rated memory setting as it used to for this whole time. I can't seem to go beyond 2800 MHz on memory in dual channel for some reason. It's crazy. Is my z170 motherboard failing slowly? Luckily I have a secondary pc with 270i rog mb to try and test both the cpu and memory kit on it. But that's all quite confusing. Why did it run so fine on all the previous bios version and latest one the started to give this crash, the after reverting to previous bios not even posting with rated memory speed? I have no idea at all.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just one of the ram stick going or it's the cpu going bad.. usually the answer is what you recently change that's the cause but tuff since there was a prob before you updated the bios, it's gona be ruff.

Can say the new bois.. did you reset and load optimized defaults first?? Then reboot and set changes to the bios?

Maybe with the new bios you need to tweak the voltages more.

Maybe it's just one of the ram stick going or it's the cpu going bad.. usually the answer is what you recently change that's the cause but tuff since there was a prob before you updated the bios, it's gona be ruff.

Can say the new bois.. did you reset and load optimized defaults first?? Then reboot and set changes to the bios?

Maybe with the new bios you need to tweak the voltages more.

Yes, I did reset, update and set again. That's what I usually did anyway. I'm having a real trouble with the mb I guess. Not only it doesn't work with the memory set to its rated clocks any more, I barely managed to make it start with another kit I used in this same motherboard for almost a year. Both kits btw managed to load flawlessly in my htpc at xmp settings. Next will test 6700k and ram in z270i in htpc. Hope it's my z170 pro gaming failing as because of my delidded cpu I'll be damnd if that's cpu issue.

Looks to be the board is borked. Updating the bios sent it over the edge. Did you try and reflash the bios with another bios version? I remember I had issues with a Z77 board similar to this. I reverted to an older bios and it just went bonkers. I reflashed again with another bios and it fixed it.

Looks to be the board is borked. Updating the bios sent it over the edge. Did you try and reflash the bios with another bios version? I remember I had issues with a Z77 board similar to this. I reverted to an older bios and it just went bonkers. I reflashed again with another bios and it fixed it.

I'll lastly test this weekend my 6700k in z270 board in htpc to see if it's degrading IMC on the cpu and also will test this z170 with g4560 from htpc, to see if mobo will act the same. Because on z270 with g4560 both kits work just fine at rated speeds above 3000. If the board doesn't post with another cpu - I'll initiate RMA.

Tried reverting bios, tried updating again - no change at all.

I'll lastly test this weekend my 6700k in z270 board in htpc to see if it's degrading IMC on the cpu and also will test this z170 with g4560 from htpc, to see if mobo will act the same. Because on z270 with g4560 both kits work just fine at rated speeds above 3000. If the board doesn't post with another cpu - I'll initiate RMA.

Tried reverting bios, tried updating again - no change at all.

Dang. Looks like you've tried just about everything aside from swapping chips/boards. I don't think it's the chip. In order to screw up the IMC, you'll need to overvolt the crap out of it (SA/VCCIO) to kill it. Now if was defective from the time you bought it, that's another story. Then it'll start degrading over time as we all know. Hopefully it's just the board and nothing else. I'm leaning towards the board going south and not the chip. Good luck!

Dang. Looks like you've tried just about everything aside from swapping chips/boards. I don't think it's the chip. In order to screw up the IMC, you'll need to overvolt the crap out of it (SA/VCCIO) to kill it. Now if was defective from the time you bought it, that's another story. Then it'll start degrading over time as we all know. Hopefully it's just the board and nothing else. I'm leaning towards the board going south and not the chip. Good luck!

Thanks man. Had time to swap cpus between the boards and it turned out to be motherboard after all, as 6700k loaded fine with higher than 2800 speed mobo and g4560 couldn't even at 2800 in that system. Got the RMA number already and hope it won't be one of those dreadful Asus support stories.

Thanks man. Had time to swap cpus between the boards and it turned out to be motherboard after all, as 6700k loaded fine with higher than 2800 speed mobo and g4560 couldn't even at 2800 in that system. Got the RMA number already and hope it won't be one of those dreadful Asus support stories.

Good luck!! May the pc gods watch over you! Haha

Well, it looks like I can't rma that stupid board because I peeled of the stupid sn sticker long time ago when it started to peel off by itself and sn on the box will not satisfy them.

So you waste money shipping the board out to them only for a "maybe"? Will they repair the board outside the warranty? I remember sending an Asus board in for RMA that was out of warranty. They charged me $35 to repair it and of course the shipping fee to them.

Maybe you break the board a couple months before the warranty has run out.(n) This way you a new board and the old one is gone. Now the new may last as long as the old one.(y)

So you waste money shipping the board out to them only for a "maybe"? Will they repair the board outside the warranty? I remember sending an Asus board in for RMA that was out of warranty. They charged me $35 to repair it and of course the shipping fee to them.

The repair cost will probably outweigh its price if it was working (like around $60 now). Yeah, I thought it sounds sketchy enough, so I guess I won't bother and just buy a new mobo. Now I'm also torn if I wanna upgrade to 8600k or 8700k since z370 boards are coming out soon lol.

Dang. Well I kinda thought it was gonna be pricey given when I did it, it was back during the early 2000's. You're better off just waiting for the Coffee Lake & Z370 setup. There's a thread the 8k series chip will launch early Oct 2017. Then maybe get a refurbed Z170 board to pair up with those chips for a nice back-up rig without breaking the bank ;)

Sucks!! That's Why I make sure when I buy something from Asus.. (usually only there mb's) i get it from microcenter and spend a little more on the 2 year warranty.

I made out with that on my first Asus rig swift g sync monitor that was $800 new. A year + later is started shaking badly and I took it in and they gave me a store credit and I was able to snag the newest Asus model monitoring free!!

Shit I would that same exact thing if I had a MC near me! Closest one is 3 hours away.

That sucks.. hard to do a 6 hour round trip!

Yeah. Maybe when I go visit the family I'll make a pitstop. Sad part is it's wayy out of the path, bout an hour with good traffic, but aside of that it's a bust :(

I'd kill to have an MC near me!

Back