Switch to Switch?

vischo

Gawd
I am wiring in my office with CAT6. I need to make a 50' cable to connect two switches. How do I make the cable ends? Crossover?

These days, if your switches are relatively new....no, standard will be fine. Most new switches over the past several years are auto MDI-X. If it's gigabit..it will be auto. (giga NICs too..part of the standard)

If it's not an auto MDI-X switch, like an older one, usually they have an "uplink" port..in which case you still use a standard cable. Uplink port on one switch, to standard port on the other switch.

Here is the layout:

Cable Modem ---> Linksys WRT54G Router --->
Netgear ProSafe24-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch (Port #1, standard)
--->
100' Cable
--->
Linksys 8-Port 10/100 Workgroup Switch (Uplink Port #8)

The PCs after the Linksys switch are failing to pick up an IP. Normal cable, should I try a crossover.

Yeah, you're not using gigabit on either end so the auto-crossover that is part of the spec isn't coming into play. Check first to see if either switch has an uplink port. Plug the normal cable into that and that will take care of it. Otherwise you can make your own crossover cable by doing 568-A on one end and 568-B on the other.

Here is the layout:

Cable Modem ---> Linksys WRT54G Router --->
Netgear ProSafe24-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch (Port #1, standard)
--->
100' Cable
--->
Linksys 8-Port 10/100 Workgroup Switch (Uplink Port #8)

The PCs after the Linksys switch are failing to pick up an IP. Normal cable, should I try a crossover.

You are cabled properly. Again..when using uplink port on one switch, to standard port of another switch.you use standard straight cable, not crossover.

If the PC isn't pulling an IP...I'd assume faulty termination of the cables (common with do it yourselfers)

Back